[SOLVED] need advice for lower entry psu

Privates

Commendable
Mar 1, 2020
Need advice to replace my current psu.

i have this corsair vs550 maybe for 10 year or so. last night the psu fan going crazy, maybe is loosen up or broken considering the age. I'm reading some forum about is it safe to change just the fan. but i'm little worried it will break another component because i dont know it is just the loosen fan or psu need retired. so i'm coming to conclusion that psu need retired / replace.

I can't spend more money because it's still a pandemic, I have to manage my finances for the future, so what is best offer psu for my pc spec :

• Asrock B450M Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • XFX RX 480 8GB Black Edition
  • 2x8 DDR4 2666mhz
  • 512 M.2 NVME
  • 1TB 7200rpm HDD

am using 2 monitor 1080 if its relevant

i have my eyes for Cooler Master ELITE V4 500W, it is good psu? Because is in my price range

if not, what's the alternative?

thanks

Solution
Couldn't find a review, did see this.

Mostly marketing junk, but there are some high points. Temp rating of 40C, Forward topology, and plugs are normal of what I'd expect from a 500W. There are some issues however. It's only 80+ standard/white, not bronze. They claim up to 85% efficient, but that would be bronze easy and pushing silver. They claim neither. It also has only a 3yr warranty. So they don't really expect this to last a long time. If this is honestly all you can afford it's not a horrible choice. But there are better units out there.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Need advice to replace my current psu.

i have this corsair vs550 maybe for 10 year or so. last night the psu fan going crazy, maybe is loosen up or broken considering the age. I'm reading some forum about is it safe to change just the fan. but i'm little worried it will break another component because i dont know it is just the loosen fan or psu need retired. so i'm coming to conclusion that psu need retired / replace.

I can't spend more money because it's still a pandemic, I have to manage my finances for the future, so what is best offer psu for my pc spec :

• Asrock B450M Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • XFX RX 480 8GB Black Edition
  • 2x8 DDR4 2666mhz
  • 512 M.2 NVME
  • 1TB 7200rpm HDD
am using 2 monitor 1080 if its relevant

i have my eyes for Cooler Master ELITE V4 500W, it is good psu? Because is in my price range

if not, what's the alternative?

thanks

It is not. Just the opposite.

Anything Tier A or Tier B in our curated PSU list in the forums.

Reactions: Privates

4745454b

Titan

Mostly marketing junk, but there are some high points. Temp rating of 40C, Forward topology, and plugs are normal of what I'd expect from a 500W. There are some issues however. It's only 80+ standard/white, not bronze. They claim up to 85% efficient, but that would be bronze easy and pushing silver. They claim neither. It also has only a 3yr warranty. So they don't really expect this to last a long time. If this is honestly all you can afford it's not a horrible choice. But there are better units out there.

Reactions: Privates
Solution

Privates

Commendable
Mar 1, 2020

can you help me to the better unit? brand and model

thx

GoboII

Prominent
Jun 5, 2021
can you help me to the better unit? brand and model
It really depends where you are. Markets are wildly different in different countries. In the US, if you can spare $50, the Bitfenix Formula Gold 650w is a great option; the Corsair CX550 is also a reliable choice for $2 less.
If you really can't spare that much, the EVGA BQ600 is at least independently regulated and not the BQ850, though it has no data on its protections so it should really be more of a last resort.

If you're not in the US, then it would depend on your local market. The PSU tier list on cultists.network is a good place to start of course, but it's no substitute for your own research. Their spreadsheet lists the sources used, which can let you make up your own mind. A fairly widely available option (outside of the US) is the Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2, which isn't a fancy unit, but it has working protections and a modern platform, so it should be reliable if nothing else.