Question Need advice for lowering GPU temperature.

May 17, 2023
GPU: RADEON RX 6950 XT

CPU: RYZEN 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI

RAM: 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4 Memory

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 850W + Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Case: Deepcool CK560 ATX Mid Tower Case

Description of Original Problem: Receiving high GPU temps. I know AMD's are made to run hot, but when I'm playing Call Of Duty, GPU temp will run higher then 100c, and my computer will shut down constantly. Any tips/help on settings in AMD Adrenalin Edition, or any other softwares i can download and adjust settings so that i can try to keep temps down.

Troubleshooting: I've put all graphics settings on low. Added 2 intake and exhaust fans when i took it to microcenter, and they said the temperature is normal and the computer build looks fine. Computer has enough room for airlow. Have tried undervolting GPU, temp still rises and shuts down computer.

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 850W + Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Description of Original Problem: Receiving high GPU temps. I know AMD's are made to run hot, but when I'm playing Call Of Duty, GPU temp will run higher then 100c, and my computer will shut down constantly. Any tips/help on settings in AMD Adrenalin Edition, or any other softwares i can download and adjust settings so that i can try to keep temps down.

Troubleshooting: I've put all graphics settings on low. Added 2 intake and exhaust fans when i took it to microcenter, and they said the temperature is normal and the computer build looks fine. Computer has enough room for airlow. Have tried undervolting GPU, temp still rises and shuts down computer.
Undervolt it manually to 1100mV or less if stable. set fan curve tocmaximum at 70c.

IDProG

Distinguished

Remove the side panel. Tell us the temps.
Remove the front panel. Tell us the temps.
Remove both. Tell us the temps.

Then we can continue from there.

100C is almost certainly a cooler mounting issue.
Normally you would hit around 89 C if airflow is poor and the throttle would manage the rest.

Here is what I would check for: Download MSI afterburner and while playing a game and having MSI afterburner running (youtube how to set it up, you need to enable OSD monitoring for the information you want) see if the high temperature is present while the GPU is running at full power and speed or while the GPU is downclocking itself.

Also, how FAST does the temp go to 100C? The faster it does, the more likely this is the problem.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
In adrenalin Performance - tuning - tuning preset(lower right)- manual tuning check "custom" - fan tuning - enabled - advanced control- enabled. Adjust your fan curve up. Click Apply Changes

Gaming - click on game - enable Radeon chill, set high fps to refresh rate, low to 100 ish.

Here is what I would check for: Download MSI afterburner and while playing a game and having MSI afterburner running (youtube how to set it up, you need to enable OSD monitoring for the information you want) see if the high temperature is present while the GPU is running at full power and speed or while the GPU is downclocking itself.
AMD drivers includes a customizable OSD function. No need for Afterburner for that.

I've owned my RX 6950 XT since January or so, and haven't noticed anything abnormal about GPU temps until yesterday when I was playing Total War: Pharaoh and saw my GPU temp was hanging around 97C with 100% fans. But, I've checked other games I've played in the past without issue now have 97C GPU temps. I rolled back my driver a couple versions and the same issue persists.

*Edit: New World also runs at 97C. Earlier in the year it was running at 75C. Something has changed.

The only way to get lower GPU temp so far is to undervolt the GPU.

Last edited: