[SOLVED] Need advice for new 3950x build

Dec 28, 2019
Hi guys.

I’ve been planning a new build for months, and on top of that been waiting for the Ryzen 3950x to get in stock - i finally managed to get it, and already have the Asus Rog Strix 2080 Ti as well waiting to go into my new rig. Those are the two only pieces of hardware, I’ve got so far, but also the most important to build around Imo.

The build will be used primarily for light to medium work (normal office work, photoshop and video editing), as well as a little gaming from time to time. I don’t play any specific titles much, but hate the idea of having a machine that would not be able to run whichever game I might want to try. Hence the GPU (and CPU).

For the rest of my build I’m planning to put these components into it:

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero wifi.
Ram: 32GB (maybe 64 - not decided yet) Skrill Trident Neo 3600 16C.
Storage: 1TB Samsung Evo Plus + 1TB Sabrent Rocket.
PSU: Corsair RM 850x

But from here on, i have been pretty much stuck in my thoughts for the last 10 days or so.

First of i wanted to build a minimalistic, clean, discrete desktop, in a no-window case with no rgb what so ever. Either the Meshify C or the Define R5/6, with a Noctua NH D-15 air cooler.

But while googling around for cases, I fell in love with the Lian Li O-11 Dynamic like many others before me. Thing is this is my first build and I never played around nor did I own an AIO, which would make sense for this case.

First i could not really decide on which one i would like, but after hours of benchmark and reviews reading, i have narrowed my options down to these (if I end up going with the Lian Li/water cooling build):

-NZXT Kraken x72
-Deepcool Castle 360ex

Prop mounted on top, with 3 additional intake fans in the side and 3 intake fans in the bottom. This setup seems to be best suited for this case, as per Hardware Canucks testing seen here:
View: https://youtu.be/KU6vIDpNaxw

Even for my initial standards/idea (no rgb at all), this besuty of a case needs a little RGB. My idea would be to have the top (radiator) and bottom fans in plain no rgb/black, and add the subtle ring rgb style fans in the side panel - i am thinking of either Thermaltakes Riing Trio as they look good from the back as well (important as they will be set as intake) or some of the similar less known brand fans, which have the same style.

But as i wrote earlier, i cant make up my mind entirely from here. I feel i still miss some last pieces of advice/help, before being able to make a final and correct decision. There are my question, hope you guys would spend some minutes to share your thoughts:

1. I don’t plan to overclock - I guess both the air cooler and AIO’s mentioned above would be sufficient to cool my Ryzen 3950x?

2. Why go (or not go) air/why go (or avoid) AIO in this build?

3. Will the Define cases be ok for air cooling, or should I go for the Meshify if I go air?

4. If I go AIO, I would potentially have 3 types of fans: Deepcool/NZXT on the radiator, Thermaltake Riing Triio on the side, and maybe/maybe not a third high end brand fans in the bottom — for example Noctua. Will this be a problem?

5. Any recommendations on change in hardware (mostly cooler, fans, case and motherboard).

Looking forward to hear from you all, and thanks for taking your time to read/answer!

Solution
If you're not overclocking the stock cooler is more than enough, I got an rgb one with the 3900x and it looks pretty cool although granted I do actually use a small 120mm aio. I think I saw a comparison video where it said they are comparable to like a £45 air cooler though and I like the subtle rgb ring on them.

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
If you're not overclocking the stock cooler is more than enough, I got an rgb one with the 3900x and it looks pretty cool although granted I do actually use a small 120mm aio. I think I saw a comparison video where it said they are comparable to like a £45 air cooler though and I like the subtle rgb ring on them.

Solution
Dec 28, 2019

The thing is it doesnt come with a stock cooler - the pack even says “water cooling is recommended for the Ryzen 3950x”.

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Well I have a small itx build with no extra fans and a cooler master liquid 120mm lite aio which has 2 fans, I can hardly hear my computer and it idles at 35°C which is more important to me than rgb. I do have another pc full to the brim with rgb fans and it is ridiculously noisy, sounds like a jet engine lmao.