Need advice for newb trying to OC my titan X..

NickCapolupo

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Alright, my setup is this:

evga 650w PSU
32 GB of DDR3 corsair vengeance 2400mhz ram
antec 900 case
msi gaming 7 mobo
i7 (I cant remember the last few numbers, but the quad core chip, not the six core) starts with a 4
titan X GPU (stock one from geforce)
40 inch 4k phillips monitor at 60 hz, connected with displayport

I am trying to play witcher 3 in 4k at the highest possible settings that i can. i am not as knowledgeable on this stuff as many of you. with fraps, im lingering around the mid 30fps range with the settings quite high, but not AA. I was hoping to overclock a little in order to at least have the nvidia hairworks ON and not be in the 30's.. i see like some glitching in the game when things are moving somewhat quickly and its sort of annoying. I was hoping to dull this effect as much as possible. i downloaded MSI afterburner and i have it up to 110% and the core clock at +90, the memory clock at plus 40, and the fan at 70.. i was running benchmarks in unigine (benchmark valley) at 4k res with ultra settings and as i slowly creep up the core and memory clock, im not seeing much difference at all. my gpu temp isnt getting over 63 degrees while i run the benchmark for however long it takes (like 5 minutes). what should i do? Any advice? I really want to enjoy these games at the highest possible settings, and Im wondering if OCing is going to help a little. I cant afford the second titan x until the price drops, so im trying to manage in the meantime. I just want the game to not be choppy.. I assume the closer to 50fps i get, the closer ill be to being content. right now it goes from high twenties to hgih thirties, and i can see glitches to where it isnt smooth.. Thanks for any help.

Solution
What you're experiencing is called screen tearing. It happens when your fps can't hit the refresh rate of your monitor. My suggestion would be to drop the resolution to 1440p. You won't notice much it will still look amazing, and you'll be able to max everything out at around 60 fps. If you still experience the tearing try turning on Vsync.

NickCapolupo

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
i have it averaging around 40fps now, but theres this thing im seeing on the top part of the screen that has been there since the get go.. just like a line or two that kind of split the picture for a split second.. not horrible, but noticeable.. kind of like maybe when an old VHS tape had some age to it, how it would glitch a little.. im sorry, im having a hard time explaining it.

Mitchell Hall

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
What you're experiencing is called screen tearing. It happens when your fps can't hit the refresh rate of your monitor. My suggestion would be to drop the resolution to 1440p. You won't notice much it will still look amazing, and you'll be able to max everything out at around 60 fps. If you still experience the tearing try turning on Vsync.

Solution

NickCapolupo

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
i use vysnc now but i like playing at 4k. its a much noticeable distance on this 40inch monitor. v-sync stops the tearing. the only thing now is when you get into certain areas, it automatically goes allt he way down to 30, rather than hovering in the 40's, but ive got it working pretty decent for the most part.. until i can afford one more titan :)