[SOLVED] Need advice for upgrade

male89march

Commendable
Aug 29, 2018
Hi there, at first English isn't my native language, so pardon my mistakes
Now i'm using a mini PC gaming, it's an MSI z97i nightblade 4790K with 16gb ram of DDR3 2400mhz and an inno3d gtx 1080

I know it's not an necessary upgrade but some sellers in my country sell their parts quite cheap and that's quite tempting for me

Here's some option from various sellers
(All parts are used, some comes complete with boxes etc, and some doesn't)

1. - Core i7 8700K (5,1 Ghz @ 1.3v vcore on bios / 5 Ghz @ 1.25v on bios )
- Asrock z370 Extreme4
- MSI gtx 970 Gaming x
NB: Bundle only, asking price approx. US$ 565

2. - Core i7 7800x (4.5Ghz 1.15v vcore on bios)
- Asus Rampage VI Apex
NB: Bundle only, asking price approx US$ 477

3. - Asus Maximus VIII Extreme (Just came back from RMA)
- PSU Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1000W
NB: Can buy separately, motherboard only US$ 219 or bundle with PSU for US$ 304
I currently selling two Core i7 6700k and i don't mind using one of them

I don't have DDR4 RAM but that's not a big deal in this case
I don't mind to look for case, DDR4 RAM, PSU, and cooler since i have some spare money to spent on
If i have to go with opt no. 1, i would like to sell the GTX 970 tho

Any suggestions or questions would be nice
Thanks in advance

Solution
The other two options are not very good. One of them is only one generation away from what you already have now, so that is Skylake, and doesn't offer much improvement over your Haswell platform, and the other one is Kaby lake, and that isn't much if any better than Skylake. Those two options are not good. Only the first option makes sense. It would be better if you could get it without the 970 though so you don't have to deal with that part, but it is still a pretty good price considering you are getting over 600 dollars worth of CPU and motherboard, plus a fairly capable graphics card, for 565 dollars. I know hardware is hard to come by, and expensive, in your region, so that might be a pretty decent deal. I'm not familiar enough with...
Yes, my advice would be to go with the first bundle and sell the GTX 970. Heck, you could probably get 150-200 bucks worth of your investment back just by selling that. Or, you could keep it as a backup. You never know when your current card might fail, or need RMA, and that way you wouldn't be without a card during that process or until you could manage to buy a replacement. Just a thought.

Then you'd need memory of course. I'd recommend 2 x8GB DDR4 3200mhz for use with that 8700k. The lower latency you can get, and CL14 would be great but also expensive, so CL15 sticks would be "common" and still good, the better.

What country are you actually in and what is the exact model of your current power supply?

male89march

Commendable
Aug 29, 2018
Well thanks for the advice sir, i'm living in Indonesia in South East Asia, and for the PSU that i currently use is Silverstone 650W 80+ Gold but that's from previous owner said, and i haven't check it out myself since i believe him and i'm too lazy to tear off my components just to make sure lol

By the way, are those options cheap enough? And what do you think about option no. 2 and 3 sir?

The other two options are not very good. One of them is only one generation away from what you already have now, so that is Skylake, and doesn't offer much improvement over your Haswell platform, and the other one is Kaby lake, and that isn't much if any better than Skylake. Those two options are not good. Only the first option makes sense. It would be better if you could get it without the 970 though so you don't have to deal with that part, but it is still a pretty good price considering you are getting over 600 dollars worth of CPU and motherboard, plus a fairly capable graphics card, for 565 dollars. I know hardware is hard to come by, and expensive, in your region, so that might be a pretty decent deal. I'm not familiar enough with the current cost of hardware in Indonesia to know whether the prices new make more sense though because at least then you'd get a good warranty.

Solution

Hsmad91

Prominent
Oct 14, 2019
Hi there, at first English isn't my native language, so pardon my mistakes
Now i'm using a mini PC gaming, it's an MSI z97i nightblade 4790K with 16gb ram of DDR3 2400mhz and an inno3d gtx 1080

I know it's not an necessary upgrade but some sellers in my country sell their parts quite cheap and that's quite tempting for me

Here's some option from various sellers
(All parts are used, some comes complete with boxes etc, and some doesn't)

1. - Core i7 8700K (5,1 Ghz @ 1.3v vcore on bios / 5 Ghz @ 1.25v on bios )
- Asrock z370 Extreme4
- MSI gtx 970 Gaming x
NB: Bundle only, asking price approx. US$ 565

2. - Core i7 7800x (4.5Ghz 1.15v vcore on bios)
- Asus Rampage VI Apex
NB: Bundle only, asking price approx US$ 477

3. - Asus Maximus VIII Extreme (Just came back from RMA)
- PSU Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1000W
NB: Can buy separately, motherboard only US$ 219 or bundle with PSU for US$ 304
I currently selling two Core i7 6700k and i don't mind using one of them

I don't have DDR4 RAM but that's not a big deal in this case
I don't mind to look for case, DDR4 RAM, PSU, and cooler since i have some spare money to spent on
If i have to go with opt no. 1, i would like to sell the GTX 970 tho

Any suggestions or questions would be nice
Thanks in advance
what games do you play?

male89march

Commendable
Aug 29, 2018
The other two options are not very good. One of them is only one generation away from what you already have now, so that is Skylake, and doesn't offer much improvement over your Haswell platform, and the other one is Kaby lake, and that isn't much if any better than Skylake. Those two options are not good. Only the first option makes sense. It would be better if you could get it without the 970 though so you don't have to deal with that part, but it is still a pretty good price considering you are getting over 600 dollars worth of CPU and motherboard, plus a fairly capable graphics card, for 565 dollars. I know hardware is hard to come by, and expensive, in your region, so that might be a pretty decent deal. I'm not familiar enough with the current cost of hardware in Indonesia to know whether the prices new make more sense though because at least then you'd get a good warranty.
That's quite reasonable, sometimes i have interests in option no. 2 and 3 are because they were some expensive motherboards lol

what games do you play?
I play a lot of games, most of the time is CS:GO, but currenly i'm also playing Hitman 2 and will look forward for Red Dead Redemption 2

Hsmad91

Prominent
Oct 14, 2019
That's quite reasonable, sometimes i have interests in option no. 2 and 3 are because they were some expensive motherboards lol

I play a lot of games, most of the time is CS:GO, but currenly i'm also playing Hitman 2 and will look forward for Red Dead Redemption 2
I think the first one is good for you

Bundle 1 is a tad overpriced, IMO...

Offer $350 max for just the CPU and mainboard...(because at roughly that cost you can get an R5-3600 and new mainboard anyway)

Pass on the 7800X...unless it falls to $350 :)

And pass on anyone else's RMA's returned...unless sold at 20-30% of cost.

Not in his country he can't. Have you LOOKED at prices in Indonesia lately? They are worse than India and nearly as bad as Australia the last time I checked.

The hardware in the second and third bundles are WAY too old to even be considered. Plus, they don't offer much improvement over what he already has anyway, so that's just a waste of time and money to even discuss those options. A moderate overclock on a 4790k will give you as good or better performance than a stock 7700k does, which is what you'd probably want to use with the Maximus VIII Extreme, but then you may need to update the bios too. No point in that. It is more of a sidegrade, if you even want to call it that. The other bundle, with the 7800x HEDT platform is flush with cores and threads, but it's still lacking in IPC from the 8700k and has much lower single core performance. I wouldn't consider either of those above the 8700k at all.

If you could get the 8700k and Extreme4, without the GPU card, for like 400 bucks, that might be a good deal. Again, much depends on what the price of some other options available to you for new hardware is but know the last time I looked on one of the Indonesian hardware sites the cost of hardware was through the roof.

male89march

Commendable
Aug 29, 2018
I think the first one is good for you
Yeah, i think so

Bundle 1 is a tad overpriced, IMO...

Offer $350 max for just the CPU and mainboard...(because at roughly that cost you can get an R5-3600 and new mainboard anyway)

Pass on the 7800X...unless it falls to $350 :)

And pass on anyone else's RMA's returned...unless sold at 20-30% of cost.
Well, i don't think it's overpriced since hardwares in my country don't come cheap, that's why i decided to looking for used parts, and thanks for the advice btw

Not in his country he can't. Have you LOOKED at prices in Indonesia lately? They are worse than India and nearly as bad as Australia the last time I checked.

The hardware in the second and third bundles are WAY too old to even be considered. Plus, they don't offer much improvement over what he already has anyway, so that's just a waste of time and money to even discuss those options. A moderate overclock on a 4790k will give you as good or better performance than a stock 7700k does, which is what you'd probably want to use with the Maximus VIII Extreme, but then you may need to update the bios too. No point in that. It is more of a sidegrade, if you even want to call it that. The other bundle, with the 7800x HEDT platform is flush with cores and threads, but it's still lacking in IPC from the 8700k and has much lower single core performance. I wouldn't consider either of those above the 8700k at all.

If you could get the 8700k and Extreme4, without the GPU card, for like 400 bucks, that might be a good deal. Again, much depends on what the price of some other options available to you for new hardware is but know the last time I looked on one of the Indonesian hardware sites the cost of hardware was through the roof.
Yes you are right, hardwares here don't come cheap, and i think i'm going to negotiate with the seller if i can get lower price as possible without the GPU, thank you so much sir.

For sure man. Good luck with that, I hope they will work with you. If not, my best advice is don't necessarily be in a hurry. Sometimes we can hurt ourselves by wanting to have something NOW, when just waiting a short time might have turned out to bring something even better along. If they don't want to work with you, then it might be worth waiting for somebody who will. Good luck.