Need advice for upgrading motherboard, processor and hard drive

Sep 18, 2018
I currently have a build from 2009. It runs well, but it's starting to feel a little sluggish. There have been some issues with it being difficult to start, crashing, etc. It can go months being fine, then occasionally it will give me the issues above, and then dissapear. It feels like it has a lot to do with the old HDD i have, and that it has certainly taken some beating. Anyways...I plan on using this pc mostly for prgramming (mobile apps, web apps, no apps that really require tons of rendering, 3D graphics, etc.).

Here is my current build (basically):

Motherboard: p7p55d - evo
Processor: intel i5-750 LGA1156
Harddrive: Some WD-750gb HDD, doesn't really matter. It needs to go.
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E
PSU: Rosewill Galcier 850M 850W
RAM: 4x G.Skill DDR3-1600 4gb

My main goal is to upgrade to an SSD, which I believe will require an update to the Motherboard as well. In addition, I do not believe there is much option (that doesn't require some annoying work arounds) in keeping the old i5, since most of the motherboards that support these won't support SSD. I have no idea if the graphics card will be an issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
If your happy with the programming performance then I would just stick with the SSD for now until you have the money for a full system build which is essentially what's going to need to happen. Your looking at a CPU/MB/RAM(DDR4)/GPU & PSU which is like 80% of a full system. You could probably reuse your storage and case but that's pretty much it.
You can only keep the RAM if you buy used.
if you go used go 4core intel with a turbo > 3.7Ghz. old amd stuff is garbage don't even consider it.
to get sata3 you need ivy bridge (limited) / haswell or the ssd won't run fast.

if you go new and don't need an addin card then i5 8400 or better. you will have to buy DDR4 if you get anything past haswell.
new ryzen stuff is really good, but it needs addin card. your older one isn't really worth running anymore. it's pulling 150W and it's performance is on the level of new $70 30W gpu or even the APU's. going igpu or entry level card will use a lot less power/PSU.

the newer stuff can boot a NVME SSD which is much faster than sata3.

Sep 18, 2018
Thanks for the respons guys. So essentially, for a new build it would really require a new Motherboard, Processor, RAM, GPU, and the SSD. I'm definately on a budget, so that would be tough. However, the machine stills runs decent. And as some of you suggested, I would still benefit greatly from upgrading to an SSD even though it wouldn't be at top performance.

I looked at my motherboard specs, and If I'm not mistaken, I saw that it actually has 2 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports. Would it run reasonably well on that? I don't know much about SSD, so what would be some options for say 200-500gb range that are reasonably priced and could be used with this, and perhaps a future upgraded system?

sata 3.0 Gb/s is sata2, sata3 = 6Gb/s

WildCard999

Titan
If your happy with the programming performance then I would just stick with the SSD for now until you have the money for a full system build which is essentially what's going to need to happen. Your looking at a CPU/MB/RAM(DDR4)/GPU & PSU which is like 80% of a full system. You could probably reuse your storage and case but that's pretty much it.

Solution
Sep 18, 2018
Okay so I did a quick google search and found that it's still definately worth using the SSD on my SATA2 ports. I also found that it is possible to get a PCIe SATA3 card, and that the speed depends on if it is x1, x2, x3 etc. My motherboard has 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 (2.5GT/s), 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (at x4 mode, 2.5GT/s), and 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode). Will using the card on any of these result in notibaly faster speeds compared to just using the SATA2 port?

USAFRet

Titan

I've gone from 120GB to 250GB to 500GB...all about the same price - $80-$90.

TRENDING THREADS