[SOLVED] Need advice for upgrading my build.

Dec 9, 2019
Hello everyone,

I use my PC professionally for 3D work and love to game on the side. I mostly use Octane Render, Cinema 4D, ZBrush, Daz3D and Marvelous Designer.

When I first bought my PC I wanted a small form factor machine I could take just about anywhere... but I never took it anywhere. So I ruined myself by grabbing a board I couldn't OC on with a K sku CPU. I'm really starting to feel the 7700k's limitations and the single 1080ti isn't cutting it anymore. Storage is a massive issue and i'm always just scraping by with a few gigs on all drives. I have about 1500AUD to spend on my build at the moment, and I'd like to know what the best way to spend the money would be. Should I get a second hand board, another 1080ti and another SSD? Or should I push my budget grab a new CPU, board and a 2nd hand 1080ti and more storage?

My current specs are:
i7-7700k
Strix H270i Mini ITX
32GB Corsair LPX 2666
1080ti SC2 Hybrid
Corsair HX1000i
250gb Samsung 970
2x 1TB WD Caviar Blue

Cheers!

Solution
While doing your 3D work or some other work, please keep the monitor the peak, average utilization and temperatures of CPU and GPU and RAM and verify if upgrade required
(You can keep GPU-Z running behind and check the activity graph)

I think one thing in your current specs you need to change
2x 1TB WD Caviar Blue ----- Try to replace this with single faster HDD or SSD

I think another 1080ti bottle necks the CPU, I suggest you to wait for next gen graphic cards once it comes, you can upgrade with AMD 3 or 4th gen ryzen with 7nm GPU

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
While doing your 3D work or some other work, please keep the monitor the peak, average utilization and temperatures of CPU and GPU and RAM and verify if upgrade required

I think another 1080ti bottle necks the CPU, I suggest you to wait for next gen graphic cards once it comes, you can upgrade with AMD 3 or 4th gen ryzen with 7nm GPU

Solution
Dec 9, 2019

Thank you for the reply. I'm thinking a 3950x with a ROG VII Hero and a 970 EVO 1TB. But I've also heard that Ryzen benefits off of faster ram and I only have that 32GB 2666 kit available. Would it be smart to get a cheaper board and buy another 32GB 3600 kit? It's over 1500 but I can spend a little more.