Question Need advice for upgrading pc

Feb 3, 2023
I'm looking to upgrade my pc as it crashes a lot especially when playing games like r6 siege. I got the pc back in 2015 and from my understanding had a lot of top quality specs for the time. I don't really want to spend too much money so I'm wondering what parts are worth upgrading.

Processor: Intel core i7-4790k
Motherboard: MAXIMUS VII RANGER
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
Power supply: corsair rm750

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm looking to upgrade my pc as it crashes a lot especially when playing games like r6 siege. I got the pc back in 2015 and from my understanding had a lot of top quality specs for the time. I don't really want to spend too much money so I'm wondering what parts are worth upgrading.

Processor: Intel core i7-4790k
Motherboard: MAXIMUS VII RANGER
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
Power supply: corsair rm750

Any help is greatly appreciated!
I would consider changing the board, cpu and RAM (unless you already have a set of DDR4 3200). You can get a B660 board and 12 gen i5 for a decent price atm.

Feb 3, 2023
I would consider changing the board, cpu and RAM (unless you already have a set of DDR4 3200). You can get a B660 board and 12 gen i5 for a decent price atm.
The RAM is a set of corsair vengeance for 16 GB though my pc says tge available physical memory is 11.5 GB. Is that fine as is or still worth changing?

The RAM is a set of corsair vengeance for 16 GB though my pc says tge available physical memory is 11.5 GB. Is that fine as is or still worth changing?

Is it DDR4? If so it would work. Ryzen operates best at 3200MHz-3600MHz but 2133MHz will work.

You can also transfer your Window's OS key to the new build, they usually will do that.

Also, it's always recommended to get a new power supply. Don't use an old one on the new investment.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

You have DDR3, all newer hardware is going to use DDR4 or DDR5

CPU, Motherboard, RAM is the bare minimum you have to change out.

I also suggest a new storage drive, since anything newer will have M.2 NVMe drives as an option.

Power supply is still pretty good.

GTX980 is getting a little dated, only you can judge if it is still meeting your needs.

GTX980 ~= GTX1060 ~= GTX1650

Any of the RTX cards will be an improvement. RTX2060, RTX3050, RTX3060, RTX3060Ti. Anything beyond that is getting into silly pricing territory.

Feb 3, 2023
Is it DDR4? If so it would work. Ryzen operates best at 3200MHz-3600MHz but 2133MHz will work.

You can also transfer your Window's OS key to the new build, they usually will do that.

Also, it's always recommended to get a new power supply. Don't use an old one on the new investment.
I think the ones I have right now are 1600 MHz so I'm guessing they will definitely need upgrading.

Feb 3, 2023
Let's do this, what is your budget?

If you can wait a few weeks you may save a few more bucks but if the need is immediate that's ok.

Where do you live? If in the US do you have a Micro Center near you?
Not immediate, more just making a list to upgrade gradually, though I am a cheap uni student so my budget is mid range.
I live in New Zealand, I know places that would have good pc parts though.

Reactions: GarrettL
Ok, have you read up on NVMe and the newer boards with all the bells and whistles? That's agood place to start.

Also not sure what is cheaper in new Zealand, AMD or Intel. Both have great products out now, no bad choice.

Graphics cards are the worst issue to deal with regarding pricing.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
i5-12400F + B660 DDR4 motherboard + 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
GTX980 or something like an RX6650XT or RTX3060
Corsair RM750 can stay
You'll want a 512GB NVMe PCIe 3.0 or PCIe 4.0 drive. Sabrent Rocket Plus is my favorite, but Samsung 970 Evo or Crucial P5 Plus and the like are good too.
You don't "need" anything beyond the stock cooler, but a cheap Deepcool AK400 or Vetroo V5 (Or the venerable Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212, usually more expensive these days)

Given the age of the system, you might also want to replace your case fans with new ones.