Build Advice Need Advice From Current System (Upgrade/AIO/New)

theflyingjapman

Prominent
Mar 24, 2022
Good day! I would like to seek advice on which is the best path to go from my current setup. I am torn between purchasing an AIO, upgrade my current one to extend life, or build a new one.
I am in Japan so I'll post the link and prices in JPY (with USD for reference).

Current PC (DIY purchased in 2013)
CPU: Intel Core i3 3245 3.4GHz Ivy Bridge LGA 1155
MB: Gigabyte H61M-DS2 rev. 3.0 (link)
RAM: G.Skill 2 x 4GB DD3 1333MHz
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB
GPU: Kuroshio Geforce GTX 1050Ti (purchased FEB this year after old GPU died)
PSU: Scythe SPGT2-600P 600W 80Plus Bronze
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 mATX
Monitor: ASUS VX239H 23" AH-IPS
Accessories: Basic KB and mouse, Edifier 2.1 Speakers, Logicool Webcam
Table: IKEA Utespelare (link)

Gaming Profile:
I used to play a lot of games before but due to shifting priorities, currently I play mostly Dota 2 and occasional flare of interest in Fortnite .
I have set number of games in my PC which are now just sitting idle. Tried to play again some such as Cities Skylines, FSX, Forza Horizon 4 but got bored fast.
Having occasional sudden surge of interest in a game but after just few hours I'll not play it anymore.
Therefore, I think I can say I am more of a casual gamer now and not looking to play any AAA titles soon. (I purchased Forza Horizon 4 out of curiosity and after just 10 hours, not playing anymore :( )

PC Usage Profile:
My current usage behavior is either play Dota 2, or just surfing internet, watch YouTube.
I don't OC, do not make any photo/video editing, just some MS Office stuff I sometimes bring home from work.

My Conflicting Wants:
  • Less cluttered desk (standard desktop system makes me feel my desk is cluttered despite doing cable management etc.)
  • Next system should be at least on same level or bit higher than current one
  • Budget restricted
OPTION 1: Upgrade

I want to know up to what extend I can upgrade my system to the point that price-to-performance ratio is good. If the intended upgrade will give me incremental increase in performance, please advise me.

Budget: USD400-USD800
Major Components to Upgrade: CPU/RAM
Optional/Budget Permitting: Case/Cooling/Monitor

CPU

Intel Core i5 3570 3.4GHz JPY13,980/USD113 -or- Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz (JPY31,410/USD256)
Used CPU will cost me about USD40 for i5 and USD80 for i7
>is there gonna be significant increase of going to i7 or will i5 suffice with above usage profiles?

RAM
G.Skill F3 2x8GB 16GB DDR3 1333 JPY9,034 (~USD74) (link)
>maximum RAM size my motherboard allows

GPU
After above CPU and RAM upgrades, is upgrading to 1660Ti a waste? No bottlenecking?

Case
I plan to change my case to Thermaltake Versa H18 (link) for aesthetics and buy an AIO cooler (NZXT Kraken) if budget permits

Monitor

Switch to 27inch above if budget permits

OPTION 2: All-In-One Desktop - budget JPY150,000 (~USD1,200)

I read about AIOs and they say that:
  • one part gets broken and whole system is done
  • gets hot easily due to limited cooling (I think if hardcore gaming)
  • price point better off with custom build
  • limited upgrade opportunities (long term)
  • specs weaker than regular desktop PC
What makes me inclined in buying AIOs is that they'll make my desk look clean as my current setup despite cables hidden, still feels like clutter to me (or maybe I just don't know how to organize).
I am looking towards minimalist space maybe that is why I have this strong interest in AIO.

Based on above profiles, I have bookmarked these AIOs:

1. Dell New Inspiron 27" AIO JPY169,980/USD1,300 [https://www.dell.com/ja-jp/shop/デルの...-27-7710-aio/cai1500spa7s16on2ojp](link)[/url]
Intel Core i7 1255U / Iris Xe / 2x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz / 512GB SSD + 1TB 5400RPM HDD

2. HP Pavilion AIO 24 Standard Model S2 JPY153,780/USD1,244 (link)
Intel Core i5 10400T / GTX 1650 / 8GB DDR4 2666MHz / 256GB SSD + 2TB 5400RPM HDD

3. HP Pavilion AIO 27 Performance Model G2-C19 JPY160,600/USD1,300 (link)
Intel Core i7 11700T / Intel UHD / 16GB DDR4 2933MHz / 512GB SSD + 2TB 5400RPM HDD

OPTION 3: New Desktop budget JPY100,000 (~USD800)

Preferably a Mini-ITX setup for less space in desk.

Sorry for the long post as I try to put everything as much as possible.
Appreciate your feedback! Thanks!

I can't find an "i3 3245" CPU in a well known database.

Is that the complete official name?

Offhand, I'd hesitate to go with option 1 UNLESS you also replace the motherboard. Staying with DDR3 RAM and a motherboard that supports DDR3 really limits you.

Regarding option 2:

Describe what is cluttering your desk......

You've got a case, a monitor, a mouse, a keyboard.....and what else?

Do you think 5 random people would also complain about your desktop clutter.?

Or is it just that you find a normal degree of clutter to be objectionable?

All in ones do in fact have the limitations you mentioned. I can certainly imagine a situation in which they may be desirable, but that would be the exception rather than the rule.

Your table is about 31 inches by 63 inches.....and costs about 120 US dollars.

Do you absolutely refuse to change to a different, larger table? I personally would do that rather than live with an all in one, but you may give the table greater priority.

theflyingjapman

Prominent
Mar 24, 2022
Yes it is the official name as per Intel's website
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ocessor-3m-cache-3-40-ghz/specifications.html

Please confirm my understanding. Does it mean that the price I will be paying for such upgrades is not worth the performance increase I will be getting? Replacing the motherboard would mean change everything which I think will be better off with a new system right?

The table is the biggest I can get with my current room. Anything larger than that will occupy the entire part section of the area. My definition of clutter was the cables for the typical standard desktop. But like I said, maybe my cable management sucked that is why it appears cluttered to me.

With that being said, does it mean I'm better off a new system? I'm eyeing towards a mini-ITX system. So AIO is out of the option?

I found your CPU in a database.

The other CPUs you mention....3570 and 3770 are faster....but not much. About 15% faster in single thread operations.

Considering that they would lock you into the same 9 year old platform era, I would not upgrade to either of them.

I'd shop for a new motherboard, new DDR 4 RAM, and a new CPU.

Just those 3 pieces. Preferably from an Intel series of the last 3 generations....CPU models beginning with 10, 11, or 12. An i-3; maybe an i-5 if your budget allows.

Even a low level CPU from those generations will easily outperform what you have now.

A micro ATX motherboard should be OK. A mini-ITX setup would work as well, but you'd probably have to get a new case.

Keep your current case if at all possible to meet your budget.

Your other pieces should be compatible, but let others confirm that. I'm not sure about GPUs and mini-ITX.

I just can't in good conscience tell you to throw money at a 9 year old motherboard/DDR 3 RAM combination.

Go with the all in one IF and ONLY IF your concerns about clutter over-ride all else....or if budget forces you. I have NO idea what is most important if push comes to shove. Nor do I have any idea about prices for a new CPU, RAM, and motherboard in your area. I don't know how far you can get with 800 US dollars. If you were in the USA, you could do a good job for no more than 500 dollars.

You can reduce cables to some extent with wireless keyboard and mouse. "Cable management" is a term normally used in reference to routing cables inside the case. I assume your concern is external to the case.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS