[SOLVED] Need advice - upgrade current PC or build new one ?

Haipeng

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2015
i currently have an OLD pc (around 10-12 years) and i used to use it for gaming, but now that i have a family and a kid, its mostly for some web surfing, sometimes gaming with bluestacks and an android game but mostly its casual gaming.

my pc specs:

i5-2500k oc to 4.1ghz,
asus sabertooth p67,
corsair 2x4 1866 rams,
nvidia gtx 260,
PSU corsair of 650w (forgot the model),
SDD samsung 840 120gb with a 1TB hdd as salve (my old 750gb died this year and was replaced with this one that was in a pc i dont use) in a CM haf320.

i think my machine is very old and was thinking about upgrading maybe he ram since sometimes i feel like it needs more and more notably when i use photoshop and have some chrome tabs open but when i open bluestacks and play a game (mostly leaving afk for it to farm alone) and check something else, it gets laggy so i was thinking it may be because of the video card?

should i upgrade some parts or just build new pc? it wont be a gaming pc so i dont intent on spending a lot of money and would build it slowly (buying parts when i can)

USAFRet

Titan
should i upgrade some parts or just build new pc? it wont be a gaming pc so i dont intent on spending a lot of money and would build it slowly (buying parts when i can)

Reactions: Haipeng

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If you wanted to go the inexpensive way:

Check mobo site and see if there is a BIOS update to support a 3770K, if not, consider the 2600K. Upgrade to at least 16GB of RAM, and would also consider something like a 1050ti/1060/16xx level GPU. Given the age of the PSU you might consider replacing it, but would probably try the old one first.

If you opted to go new, even a modern i3/R3 would SMOKE anything you could upgrade the current machine to.

Reactions: Haipeng

Haipeng

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2015
If you wanted to go the inexpensive way:

Check mobo site and see if there is a BIOS update to support a 3770K, if not, consider the 2600K. Upgrade to at least 16GB of RAM, and would also consider something like a 1050ti/1060/16xx level GPU. Given the age of the PSU you might consider replacing it, but would probably try the old one first.

If you opted to go new, even a modern i3/R3 would SMOKE anything you could upgrade the current machine to.
i have the latest upgrade of the bios already.

so the option would be buy ram and the GPU and maybe a new PSU or a new build like Why_Me recommended.

thank you ppl for your replies

i have the latest upgrade of the bios already.

so the option would be buy ram and the GPU and maybe a new PSU or a new build like Why_Me recommended.

thank you ppl for your replies
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144531
MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 $129.99

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-12400f-core-i5-12th-gen/p/N82E16819118360
Intel Core i5-12400F $159.99

EvzZHt4zskeq2WvRUVwVHK-970-80.png