Question Need advice - mini PC + DAS

Oct 17, 2023
Hey!

Need a starting point and general beginning advice I can later explore more deeply on my own. General tips but if you have time and like to help people - more specific guidelines are very welcome.

Backstory:
I am a photographer. At end of every month I have 100-200 GB files to store on a HDD. After I finish working with photos I need to archive them on a HDD for cold storage. I don't need frequent access to archived file - at the end of every week I need to dump all the work from nvme to HDD AND just a couple of times per month I need to get some specific photos back on my nvme to work with them. At this point I don't need more layers of safety since the photos are delivered already to the client and additional copy is available in an online gallery.

I have my main workstation PC with 2 internal HDD, 1xM.2, 2xSSD. The HDD are getting full so I am designing myself a new workflow with files for soon coming future. I have also a mini PC Gigabyte GB-BACE 3160 which I wanted to utilize in this workflow as it is just gathering dust. I'm on a budget so targeting cheapest solutions and DYI.

What I was thinking off and let me know if this is doable:
Mini PC + 2 bay DAS (some ppl call that a homebrew NAS) - acting as a server to access files when I need them + maybe Home Assistant if possible since I have some smart junk via android apps (if needed it can be 24/7) + occasionally launch xbox app for cloud gaming on TV.

My main needs:
1. Storage - 2 HDDs in RAID1 with easy access. I need this access occasionally so a NAS is no-go for me cause I just don't need this kind of solution - I don't need those HDD's in standby all the time or spinning.
Can I send files from my main PC to a DAS via mini-PC without any problem?

In my head I have a design - 2 HDD in RAID1 in DAS with access from my main PC through mini-PC. After 1 year I dump all the files to a new HDD, put in on a shelf and erase everything from DAS for the next year. If I need access to files from earlier years - I have a docking station connected to my PC so I just take the HDD of the shelf and plug in.

If this is possible -
1. What OS should I choose to run on miniPC
2. What basic software do I need to act for it as a server with file browsing?
3. What kind of DAS I am looking for for this kind of configuration?

I know that there are dozens of different solution but I am looking not for the best one (cause that might took weeks) but any for quick, first implement that will work and is begginer friendly.

So something like - "Hey, choose windows server, you can install pulseway to have access but it's better to set network share since you will be mainly accessing it via your local network etc."
or
"Since it's not the best hardware go with Ubuntu. install docker, portainer, filebrowser etc."

If this is not possible please advise any closest solution. Thank you!

kanewolf

Titan
Hey!

Need a starting point and general beginning advice I can later explore more deeply on my own. General tips but if you have time and like to help people - more specific guidelines are very welcome.

Backstory:
I am a photographer. At end of every month I have 100-200 GB files to store on a HDD. After I finish working with photos I need to archive them on a HDD for cold storage. I don't need frequent access to archived file - at the end of every week I need to dump all the work from nvme to HDD AND just a couple of times per month I need to get some specific photos back on my nvme to work with them. At this point I don't need more layers of safety since the photos are delivered already to the client and additional copy is available in an online gallery.

I have my main workstation PC with 2 internal HDD, 1xM.2, 2xSSD. The HDD are getting full so I am designing myself a new workflow with files for soon coming future. I have also a mini PC Gigabyte GB-BACE 3160 which I wanted to utilize in this workflow as it is just gathering dust. I'm on a budget so targeting cheapest solutions and DYI.

What I was thinking off and let me know if this is doable:
Mini PC + 2 bay DAS (some ppl call that a homebrew NAS) - acting as a server to access files when I need them + maybe Home Assistant if possible since I have some smart junk via android apps (if needed it can be 24/7) + occasionally launch xbox app for cloud gaming on TV.

My main needs:
1. Storage - 2 HDDs in RAID1 with easy access. I need this access occasionally so a NAS is no-go for me cause I just don't need this kind of solution - I don't need those HDD's in standby all the time or spinning.
Can I send files from my main PC to a DAS via mini-PC without any problem?

In my head I have a design - 2 HDD in RAID1 in DAS with access from my main PC through mini-PC. After 1 year I dump all the files to a new HDD, put in on a shelf and erase everything from DAS for the next year. If I need access to files from earlier years - I have a docking station connected to my PC so I just take the HDD of the shelf and plug in.

If this is possible -
1. What OS should I choose to run on miniPC
2. What basic software do I need to act for it as a server with file browsing?
3. What kind of DAS I am looking for for this kind of configuration?

I know that there are dozens of different solution but I am looking not for the best one (cause that might took weeks) but any for quick, first implement that will work and is begginer friendly.

So something like - "Hey, choose windows server, you can install pulseway to have access but it's better to set network share since you will be mainly accessing it via your local network etc."
or
"Since it's not the best hardware go with Ubuntu. install docker, portainer, filebrowser etc."

If this is not possible please advise any closest solution. Thank you!
Why build a miniPC when a commercial NAS does everything you want and is plug-and play? I would recommend using the internal storage on the NAS as offload point from your PC. Then use the tools on the NAS to backup the internal storage to USB connected storage. When that is full, unmount and put a new one on the USB port.

Oct 17, 2023
Why build a miniPC when a commercial NAS does everything you want and is plug-and play? I would recommend using the internal storage on the NAS as offload point from your PC. Then use the tools on the NAS to backup the internal storage to USB connected storage. When that is full, unmount and put a new one on the USB port.
Hey kanewolf,
Thanks for the question!

So there are a couple of reasons behind logic:
1. If I can set an easy accessible storage via miniPC - which I already have and what is my main goal at the begining - I can agree on keeping it on 24/7 and in next steps use it as Home Assistant, DNS Server or simple media center/cloud gaming since it can be connected in different room to a big TV.
2. It's probably a cheaper solution. I have this self-fulfillment feeling when I can arrange something at % of normal price.
3. It's also a side project and a journey on which I want to learn some new skills - so I have some time dedicated to make it work. And maybe I'm not a pro but I like to tinker with this kind of things as a hobby:)

kanewolf

Titan
Hey kanewolf,
Thanks for the question!

So there are a couple of reasons behind logic:
1. If I can set an easy accessible storage via miniPC - which I already have and what is my main goal at the begining - I can agree on keeping it on 24/7 and in next steps use it as Home Assistant, DNS Server or simple media center/cloud gaming since it can be connected in different room to a big TV.
2. It's probably a cheaper solution. I have this self-fulfillment feeling when I can arrange something at % of normal price.
3. It's also a side project and a journey on which I want to learn some new skills - so I have some time dedicated to make it work. And maybe I'm not a pro but I like to tinker with this kind of things as a hobby:)
IMO, it is a business expense. You should treat this storage as a business purchase. IMO, that means it just works and you don't have to fiddle with it.
Your original post asked about what OS to use. Those are the kind of things that are magically taken care of with a commercial NAS.

But, enjoy your project.

Oct 17, 2023
IMO, it is a business expense. You should treat this storage as a business purchase. IMO, that means it just works and you don't have to fiddle with it.
Your original post asked about what OS to use. Those are the kind of things that are magically taken care of with a commercial NAS.

But, enjoy your project.
I'll take all of that in consideration.

But any advice from your experience for this kind solution?