Need advice on a new AMD CPU (Ryzen 5 5600X or Ryzen 7 5800X) and Motherboard for gaming

nydrim

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
Hello everyone

The time has come for me to upgrade the majority of my pc parts, and would like some advice on getting a new AMD CPU and a Motherboard. Although I built my own pc I am still not very knowledgeable on pc building.

The PC is intended for medium to almost high end gaming (e.g. Cyberpunk 2077 on high settings) with no video editing or other "heavy work" being done on it. I would prefer to not have to further upgrade it (apart from the graphics card) for the next 3 years or so.

For the CPU I am currently considering either a Ryzen 5 5600X or a Ryzen 7 5800X. Which of the two would be best for my purposes? Is the extra price for the Ryzen 7 worth the money for the additional 2 cores?

Additionally, what Motherboard would you recommend for either one of those CPUs? I should note that I currently have a wifi pcie card so I will not be needing a mobo with wifi. I am considering the following:
  • ASROCK B550M Steel Legend
  • MSI MAG TB550 Tomahawk
  • MSI B550M Aorus Pro AC
  • ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/AC
  • ASUS B550 Tuf Gaming Plus
This is the system I currently have: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GPHLwV

In addition to the CPU and Mobo, I intend on upgrading my RAM to 16 GB and get a new Power Supply with 750W. I also intend on upgrading my Graphics Card in a few months.

larsv8

Distinguished
You probably wont notice the difference between a 5600 and 5800, so go with cheaper, if you can even find it.

Mobo I'd probably go tomahawk or tuf.

Keep in mind you will have to update bios.