[SOLVED] Need advice on an LGA 1700 liquid cooler

Sig_Dude

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
I am in the process of spec'ing out an LGA 1700 based system. The processor will be an i9-12900KF.

I would like to use my existing Cooler Master HAF X case.

What would be an appropriate liquid cooling option for this setup?

Or, should I bite the bullet and get a new case?

Thanks for any replies.

Solution
Depends what you're going to do with the cpu.
The HAF X is an air cooling focused model, as can be seen by the limited liquid cooling options; the product page shows the largest that can be used is a 240mm AIO, and some air coolers already match what those can do.

If you're just going to game on it, a 240mm AIO can handle it.
If this is for work/productivity, a 240mm won't be enough without some manual tuning from you, though that may come with a minor performance deficit; this cpu does best when it's allowed to draw as much power as it wants.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The HAF X is an air cooling focused model, as can be seen by the limited liquid cooling options; the product page shows the largest that can be used is a 240mm AIO, and some air coolers already match what those can do.

If this is for work/productivity, a 240mm won't be enough without some manual tuning from you, though that may come with a minor performance deficit; this cpu does best when it's allowed to draw as much power as it wants.

Solution

Sig_Dude

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021

Thanks, Phaaze.

I should have mentioned that this will be a 3D CAD workstation (SolidWorks).

That being said, what would be a good case option?

Thanks again.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What are you after in a chassis? There's A LOT of options, as well as the love/hate relationship your personal tastes will have with them.

If you just need a few examples:
be quiet! Silent Base 802, Pure Base 500DX
Phanteks P600S, P500A
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh, O11 Dynamic
Corsair 5000D Airflow, 4000X RGB
Cooler Master H500M, TD500 Mesh
Fractal Design Torrent, Meshify 2

Sig_Dude

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
What are you after in a chassis? There's A LOT of options, as well as the love/hate relationship your personal tastes will have with them.

If you just need a few examples:
be quiet! Silent Base 802, Pure Base 500DX
Phanteks P600S, P500A
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh, O11 Dynamic
Corsair 5000D Airflow, 4000X RGB
Cooler Master H500M, TD500 Mesh
Fractal Design Torrent, Meshify 2

Phaaze,

First of all, thanks for your help here. I'm new (today). You're obviously in-the-know on this forum. Glad to have crossed paths with you.

As for a case, I am looking for something professional, not kid's stuff. I want adequate cooling possibilities, easy access, and a robust build that can withstand getting kicked here and there under my stand-up desk.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ooh, so a completely tempered glass side panel is likely off the list then...
Silent Base 802. You can get one with the metal side panel instead of the glass one.
https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/2049

Fractal Design Define 7

Masterbox NR600P

Sig_Dude

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
Silent Base 802. You can get one with the metal side panel instead of the glass one.

Fractal Design Define 7

Masterbox NR600P
Thansks. Great recomendations.

What do you think of the be quiet! Dark Base 900?

Sig_Dude

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021

Fractal Design Define 7

Masterbox NR600P

I ordered the Silent Base 802 tonight.

So back to the CPU cooler, what would a good option be for this case?

Thanks.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So back to the CPU cooler, what would a good option be for this case?
360mm.
Arctic Liquid Freezer II
be quiet! Pure Loop
Corsair H150i Elite Capellix
EK-AIO Basic
Fractal Design Celsius+ S36 Dynamic
NZXT Kraken X73
... and others, so quite a few possible options out there.
I don't care much for looks, nor do I want additional software running on my PC, so I'd lean more towards the Pure Loop, EK Basic, and Celsius+. The Liquid Freezer II is a close runner up, due to that gimmicky(IMO) VRM fan.

Sig_Dude

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
360mm.
Arctic Liquid Freezer II
be quiet! Pure Loop
Corsair H150i Elite Capellix
EK-AIO Basic
Fractal Design Celsius+ S36 Dynamic
NZXT Kraken X73
... and others, so quite a few possible options out there.
I don't care much for looks, nor do I want additional software running on my PC, so I'd lean more towards the Pure Loop, EK Basic, and Celsius+. The Liquid Freezer II is a close runner up, due to that gimmicky(IMO) VRM fan.

Pure Loop looks like the ticket. Thanks yet again.

Just out of curiosity, why 360mm?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just out of curiosity, why 360mm?
1)That cpu can get hot under heavy loads if you let it. Unlike the other 12th gens, this one runs with power limits disabled from the get-go. That means it's going to suck up as much power as it pleases if you do not touch bios.
It does have power limits just like the other cpus do, it just doesn't run them out of the box.

2)The Pure Base 802 supports up to 360mm(120mm class) top mounted radiator, but not 140mm class rads like 280 and 420.
While the front does support up to both 360 and 420mm sizes, that ends up becoming a noise problem a few years or so down the line. The fluid volume slowly goes down and air volume goes up and will start to pool in one area of the rad.
This will lead to a dripping or running water noise, which will annoy you, thus forcing you to either move it up top or replace it entirely if you can't make the former happen, even though there's actually nothing wrong with the unit.
Manufacturers just don't provide long enough tubes to go with 360mm and larger models so you can run them with the inlet+outlet at the bottom and avoid that.
280mm is better balanced because of that, but then we're back to the cpu drawing as much as it wants - if you let it - and overwhelming smaller coolers under heavy load.

Here are the recommended hardware for solidworks:
Of particular interest is the statement that the app is essentially single threaded.
The i9-12900K is the absolute best in that department.
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/mx5qrf/1
When the 12900K is running all cores, it can get very hot and would need a very good cooler.
However when running less than all cores occupied, I think you could safely use a good air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15.
It has about the same cooling capability as a 240 aio liquid cooler.
One thing, you should use low profile ram like the corsair lpx series.

TRENDING THREADS