Question Need advice on best way to cool ASUS FX504

OhadXen

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
I know this laptop has terrible cooling system but, is there any way to cool it better with replacement of thermal paste or adding thermal pads? I really want this computer to be cool as much as possible and without liquid metal because I am not willing to take the risk.
would be happy to know where should I apply thermal solutions on CPU, GPU , more mainly on any kinds of Mosfet and more.

reason to replace thermal paste: you have low idle temperature, once u run web browser, it insta jumps 90°C while fan puts out cold air
otherwise its very small difference if it works
heat has to dissipate somewhere, u could undust it (if its older) or add some external cooling pad (preferably metalic with big quiet fan)

I installed Intel XTU and undervolted it -0.150v along with it on a cooling stand.
Undervolting and elevating will help temps and the thermal throttling.

My specs Asus fx504gm-es74
I7-8750h
G.skill ripjaws 2x8 2666
Gtx 1060 6gb
Samsung 256gb ssd os
1tb firecuda

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019
Undervolt the cpu and the gpu yeah some tradeoff might be there but it will improve your temp. Did you try buying some laptop cooler stand, I think that will be a huge improvement adding those cooling stand.

The undervolting dropped mine enough to put a slight oc on the 1060.

The manufacturers should include in their design a folding legs to help elevate the laptop off the surface it is sitting on.

I made my stand cooler.
A $15 sheet of plexiglass/lexan/poly 2 x 1in bolts, 2x 2 1/2in blots nuts washers and rubber nipples over the thread end of the bolts, 2x 120mm fans positioned at the laptops intake vents, and variable motor speed control and a 50-60w ac/dc power supply.
I only had to buy the plexiglass/lexan and the nuts and bolts.

Reactions: Aashirbad Thapa

OhadXen

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
I have a cooler stand and also done undervolting to CPU and GPU by -125, the problem is that I live in a hot country and it does make some performance issues when I am playing heavy games.
The main reason I've asked this question is to understand if there is any way to make this computer a bit cooler with thermal or pads in certain areas on the motherboard.

You can always try new thermal paste but i have no idea which paste is best to use for a laptop. I have not repasted mine yet.
Artic silver 5 and mx 4 usually require upto 200 hrs of thermal cycling to cure.
I use thermaltake TG7 on my 3 desktop
Watercoolers and trust it enough to atleast give it a try first.

Depending on the stand cooler you have are the intake vents being blocked from it's design? Does it have variable fan speed?

If you want let me know and i will supply pics of the fan stand i made,
but ultimately in a hot environment the combination of the 3 repaste, undervolting and cooling stand my be all you can do.

OhadXen

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
ill let you know once its done i also want to try maybe replacing the paste with thermal pads for the Mosfets problem is Im afraid I wont have way to check temp there

OhadXen

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
ill let you know once its done i also want to try maybe replacing the paste with thermal pads for the Mosfets problem is Im afraid I wont have way to check temp there
Sorry in Advance forgot to mention a decrease of about 8-10 degrees Celsius
MX4 thermal paste Im sure better thermal paste will bring better result.