Need advice on budget build

Jul 12, 2018
I am building a server which will run Proxmox as the VM manager. Proxmox because I am familiar with KVM. Within proxmox I will have a FreeNas VM which will be my storage facility, and streaming/transcoding through PLEX Media Server.

To add to this, I also need a home lab for network certifications, so it will run a few vms aside from its media, and storage purposes. The vms will run things like windows server 2012, capable of running Active Directory and being a Domain Controller. Also a few of the VMS will be clients(win, unix, etc.

The lab doesn't need to be on all the time, but I would like the media and storage server to be on and readily available.

My parts list thus far:

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2680v2 10 Core 2.8GHz
Motherboard: SuperMicro X9SRL-F
Ram:Samsung 32GB 4x8GB DDR3-1866Mhz ECC REG Server Memory
SSD:2x Crucial 525GB MX300
HDD:4x Seagate Desktop HDD 1TB 64MB Cache 6.0Gb/s
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550W Gold
Case: Cooler Master N400

I am buying the Processor, and Motherboard used. I am trying to stay under $1000. With my current parts list it comes out to just above $1000. Which I am okay with.

Further Insight: The 4 HDDs are for the FreeNas Media server, and the 2 SSDs are for all other VMS in proxmox.

Questions:
Will this build be powerful enough for what I need?
Are there problems with this build which I am not seeing?
I believe I have enough CPU, do I have enough ram, and enough IOPS?

Lutfij

Titan
Given that you're trying to max the frequency on the rams, I'd ask you to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. For the sake of it being a server, I'd ask you to look at a higher wattage and with higher standard in the 80+ rating. I'd also ask you to look into the Fractal Design Meshify C or a Define R6.

The N400 is a little(too) dated.

Jul 12, 2018

Okay. Yea I wasn't sure about the case, I to think I could do better. I'll make sure I'm on the latest BIOS update.

As far as the PSU, according to pc part picker I am sitting under 400 watts. So I don't think I'd ever max it out without a GPU, but I can see it spiking above 80% usage. So I will look into that.

Thanks for the advice!