[SOLVED] Need Advice On Building A New Pc (600Euro)

Curtis50cent

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I was thinking about something like this ASRock Radeon RX 580 Phantom Gaming D OC 8GB GDDR5 256-bit, GIGABYTE B450M DS3H, AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz box, Corsair VS Series VS650 80+ 650W PSU , HyperX Fury Black 8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16. Any suggestions ? My budget is 600 euro at most. Still not sure if ill need a case , storage or ssd, ive got those in my old pc, but if the price lets it why not. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
Since you came up with some other cpu suggestions id like to ask if i have to switch up the gpu with the 3600 .
RX 580's are decent from what I hear, certainly competitive for their price range. I was considering one for my upgrade, but I went with the nvidia 1660 instead. I am really impressed with the performance of the Nvidia turing architecture. I can max out just about any game including new AAA titles at 1440p ultra, with room to spare. I keep it locked at 60fps because of my refresh rate, but it rarely if ever drops below, no matter what sort of Anti-aliasing or detail settings I enable. Some titles such as gta5 even run this way at full 4k with solid 60fps. I doubt the same can be said for Rx-580...

febisfebi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
If you are using this rig for gaming, I would think long and hard about whether using a last gen Amd CPU in order to save ~$60 is a good idea. If you absolutely cannot afford the $200 3600, I would go with an I5-9400F for about the same price as the 2600. You will get as much or more than a 20% boost in performance in games and everything really with either option, just by using current gen CPU.
It sounds like you have a budget worthy of current gen IPC, I would not cheap out on this. If it means not getting a pretty case, this would be a good reason to stick with old faithful for now. You can always get another case they are giving them away all the time usually with an old mb/cpu/ram as well, so you might have to recycle some of that yourself. Just look on Craigslist/offerup in your area.
Good luck on your build!

Reactions: Curtis50cent

Curtis50cent

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
If you are using this rig for gaming, I would think long and hard about whether using a last gen Amd CPU in order to save ~$60 is a good idea. If you absolutely cannot afford the $200 3600, I would go with an I5-9400F for about the same price as the 2600. You will get as much or more than a 20% boost in performance in games and everything really with either option, just by using current gen CPU.
It sounds like you have a budget worthy of current gen IPC, I would not cheap out on this. If it means not getting a pretty case, this would be a good reason to stick with old faithful for now. You can always get another case they are giving them away all the time usually with an old mb/cpu/ram as well, so you might have to recycle some of that yourself. Just look on Craigslist/offerup in your area.
Good luck on your build!
Since you came up with some other cpu suggestions id like to ask if i have to switch up the gpu with the 3600 .

febisfebi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
RX 580's are decent from what I hear, certainly competitive for their price range. I was considering one for my upgrade, but I went with the nvidia 1660 instead. I am really impressed with the performance of the Nvidia turing architecture. I can max out just about any game including new AAA titles at 1440p ultra, with room to spare. I keep it locked at 60fps because of my refresh rate, but it rarely if ever drops below, no matter what sort of Anti-aliasing or detail settings I enable. Some titles such as gta5 even run this way at full 4k with solid 60fps. I doubt the same can be said for Rx-580, although it may be slightly cheaper in some cases.
So if you want my opinion, I would go with a 1660, or 1660ti, or even find a 2060 or 2060 super on sale if your budget will allow. Keep in mind with the CPU you are upgrading to, any title out now will be GPU bound, at anything over 1080p. So your money is best spent on a GPU. Even if you have to ditch the case/ssd/etc. Save as much of your budget for GPU as you can. You can always get an ssd/case/etc later when you save a few more bucks if you want. But your CPU and GPU will stick with you until you are ready to upgrade all over again.
Keep in mind you could get a cheaper CPU than $200 The 3600 is just the cheapest AMD chip you should consider. But all you really need is a current gen intel(or amd) with at least 6 cores. In which case a 9400f could save you 60-70 you could spend on a GPU. However the 3600 might be slightly more future proof due to lack of hypertheading on 9th gen 6 core's. So its give and take. But most people will probably agree GPU is the more important most of the time when gaming is involved.
Choose wisely! If you need any further help choosing don't hesitate to ask. Myself and others are more than willing to help you here, and you will be sorry if you find out later, that you should have done something different.

Solution

Curtis50cent

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
RX 580's are decent from what I hear, certainly competitive for their price range. I was considering one for my upgrade, but I went with the nvidia 1660 instead. I am really impressed with the performance of the Nvidia turing architecture. I can max out just about any game including new AAA titles at 1440p ultra, with room to spare. I keep it locked at 60fps because of my refresh rate, but it rarely if ever drops below, no matter what sort of Anti-aliasing or detail settings I enable. Some titles such as gta5 even run this way at full 4k with solid 60fps. I doubt the same can be said for Rx-580, although it may be slightly cheaper in some cases.
So if you want my opinion, I would go with a 1660, or 1660ti, or even find a 2060 or 2060 super on sale if your budget will allow. Keep in mind with the CPU you are upgrading to, any title out now will be GPU bound, at anything over 1080p. So your money is best spent on a GPU. Even if you have to ditch the case/ssd/etc. Save as much of your budget for GPU as you can. You can always get an ssd/case/etc later when you save a few more bucks if you want. But your CPU and GPU will stick with you until you are ready to upgrade all over again.
Keep in mind you could get a cheaper CPU than $200 The 3600 is just the cheapest AMD chip you should consider. But all you really need is a current gen intel(or amd) with at least 6 cores. In which case a 9400f could save you 60-70 you could spend on a GPU. However the 3600 might be slightly more future proof due to lack of hypertheading on 9th gen 6 core's. So its give and take. But most people will probably agree GPU is the more important most of the time when gaming is involved.
Choose wisely! If you need any further help choosing don't hesitate to ask. Myself and others are more than willing to help you here, and you will be sorry if you find out later, that you should have done something different.

Since my initial post i have changed up things a little bit. Changed the PSU to Corsair CX550, 80+ Bronze, 550W and the GPU to Sapphire Radeon RX 590 Nitro+ Special Edition 8GB GDDR5 256-bit and i have to get an other MOBO since my current one wont hold the new GPU. To sum it up i have an old pc the only new parts were the SSD and the HDD , specs are Sappphire Radeon 7770 , Amd Athlon X4 750K , ddr3 ram with low mhz , Mobo Asrock fm2 a55 dgs. The reason im trying to avoid Intel is its price , and i always heard that AMD does almost the same with lower price. Oh and i will go with the 3600 i think. I can wait till some sales and get the parts then. I dont want to rush things up coz i want it to last few years like my current one . Thanks for your help.

febisfebi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Since my initial post i have changed up things a little bit. Changed the PSU to Corsair CX550, 80+ Bronze, 550W and the GPU to Sapphire Radeon RX 590 Nitro+ Special Edition 8GB GDDR5 256-bit and i have to get an other MOBO since my current one wont hold the new GPU. To sum it up i have an old pc the only new parts were the SSD and the HDD , specs are Sappphire Radeon 7770 , Amd Athlon X4 750K , ddr3 ram with low mhz , Mobo Asrock fm2 a55 dgs. The reason im trying to avoid Intel is its price , and i always heard that AMD does almost the same with lower price. Oh and i will go with the 3600 i think. I can wait till some sales and get the parts then. I dont want to rush things up coz i want it to last few years like my current one . Thanks for your help.
Don't waste any extra money on an Rx-590. Its literally a Rx-580 with a slight overclock that you can easily set yourself.
You are right about AMD They are a great option if you cannot afford a 9700k or 9900k, which most of us cannot.
However they do not have a good option for a sub $200usd CPU. Not yet anyways. This is reason I brought up the option of using Intel. The 9400F will only cost you $130-140 USD, and a motherboard can be had for $50-60 if you look around.

Another thing to consider, Ryzen is particularly crippled by low end RAM, as it directly controls the core-core latency.
This is not the case with Intel, so you can easily get away with cheaper RAM without affecting performance in any meaningful way.

So your budget at 600 Euro translates to about $675 USD or so. I am from US so I will list prices in USD.
I was thinking this over last night, you might just be able to pull this off with your budget:
Nvidia 2070 super is the probably the most gpu for the money in the mid-high end cards.
It is a $500 usd card though. But it will beat a 1080ti, and match a 2080, both of which are very expensive cards. (~$700+)

So with $675 usd this is what I would (at least consider) doing.

$500 - 2070 Super founders edition
$130 - Intel I5-9400F
$60 - 16 gb ram there are many choices in this range to choose from
$60 - motherboard maybe something like this
$30 - CX-600 PSU
you will need at least a 565w PSU for the 2070 super. I would suggest something like Corsair CX-600 here is a used one for $30 shipped

$780 USD total or about 700 Euro

This is a little over your budget, but if you can afford the extra 100 euro, just look at the performance you would get over an rx-580:

https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/nv...2-90ghz/ultra/ultra/-vs-?lang=en&currency=usd

Or RX-590 with AMD:
https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/gpu/amd-radeon-rx-590/amd-ryzen-5-3600/ultra

FPS is doubled in most cases. Which is not bad for ~15% more money.

You could also go for a 2060 super if you could not afford the extra $. They MSRP for $400
https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-super/intel-core-i5-9400f-2-90ghz/ultra
Still good performance but not quite double the rx-580/590 like you would get with 2070 super.

Now you could do the same with Ryzen, but it will cost you at least $100 more when you consider the extra cost of the CPU and the fact that you should be spending more like $80-90 USD on 16gb high speed ram, in order to not get bogged down by core-core latency.
In this case AMD could actually cost you significantly more for little to no performance increase in the majority of games.
Either way you will have a 6 core CPU which should serve you well for most if not all new titles that might come out in the next couple years.
These days most games cannot effectively take advantage of more than 4 threads. This is changing with new AAA titles, but most game developers still do not want to limit their market to people with 6 or 8 cores. This is a big reason why money is usually best spent on GPU horsepower.
You can use this site to plug in different CPU/GPU combinations to see what kind of gaming performance you will be getting with different setups:
https://www.gpucheck.com/graphics-cards