Need advice on CPU Cooler for Ryzen build

macgreen

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I'm building a new PC, all the parts are ordered... except a CPU Cooler. I've got a Ryzen 5 2600X on the way, and I know it comes with a Wraith Spire cooler. However, I've read that the CPU gets kinda toasty, and what may be a slight problem is the fact that I'm building the PC within a Bitfenix Prodigy M case, which isn't the greatest for airflow. I plan to have 120mm fans installed in the top of the case in the intake position, and the fan in the rear of the case as exhaust.

I don't plan to overclock the CPU at all, but would it be best to see about a more capable air cooler to help keep the airflow going? I have maybe $40-50 that I could spend. The Case specs states that CPU Coolers up to 160mm in height can fit. If the Wraith Spire will be fine, all the better. I just haven't seen anyone build anything with Ryzen in the case (and I've been looking). Any advice would be helpful!

Solution
At stock I'd try the Wraith first, then if it's either too hot or too loud then I'd consider a better cooler.

For a aftermarket cooler I'd look at the Dark Rock 4, it supports AM4 sockets and would be much better then the Wraith although it is a bit above your budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $67.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-27 17:32 EDT-0400

WildCard999

Titan
At stock I'd try the Wraith first, then if it's either too hot or too loud then I'd consider a better cooler.

For a aftermarket cooler I'd look at the Dark Rock 4, it supports AM4 sockets and would be much better then the Wraith although it is a bit above your budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $67.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-27 17:32 EDT-0400

Solution

TRENDING THREADS