Need advice on failing PC performance.

TheBushWookie

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
For a long time now my PC's FPS performance has been slowly declining and most recently i got my hands on a new Asus GTX 970 Turbo which for awhile worked and increased my performance but now it's declining even further at an alarming rate to where it's basically on the same level as my old GTX 760.

My FPS has been declining in all of my games.

CPU average heat has been rising constantly.

USB Ports on my PC has been dying out left and right.

Faulty start ups where some things on my PC wouldn't start properly causing me to have to restart my PC.

Decreasing general performance with load times on games and programs.

Periods of random freeze ups or just random further drops in performance have been happening more frequently.

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-8350 55 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 970A-DS3P (CPU 1) 31 °C
Graphics
E221-A1 (1920x1080@60Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 33 °C
Storage
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA) 33 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12NS30
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Power
HMW 600W ATX Power Supply Model: XG-H600

The PC is alittle over 2 years old and was a Pre built CyberPowerPC from Bestbuy.

The only new part is the GTX Asus 970.

Solution
I wouldn't go with any of those if you just want something better than stock. This is cheaper than any of those, and is a quality component from a trusted company.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $19.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-29 00:36 EDT-0400

It will outperform the stock cooler by about 33% and is quieter than the stock cooler by far. If you want something with really decent mid tier performance though, then I'd consider the Cryorig H7 like Logain suggested, the Cryorig H5 Ultimate or Universal or the BeQuiet Shadow Rock...
Another CyberPower. I am sorry to say but you are now one of the many to experience their poor build quality.

For starters, the PSU you listed is junk, not trying to be mean but it is a very cheap PSU not even worth considering.

The motherboard losing USB ports is a bad sign. It could be a short or going bad. Maybe the PSU surged and is frying parts.

If you are not comfortable with PCs and building them I would suggest a repair shop. We can suggest what it could be all day but you will have to be able to do a lot of troubleshooting.

Are you comfortable with that?

TheBushWookie

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015

Yes I'm comfortable with doing what ever I need to to narrow down the problem. I don't have a large amount of money to spare when I want to so I'd prefer to figure out what parts need to be replaced over buying an entirely new PC or replacing every single part.

TheBushWookie

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015

Would I have to worry about compatibility with the power supply?

I'm still inexperienced with PC's and the biggest issue I had and still have with trying to build a PC is that I don't know if parts will be compatible with each other or how to find out.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Although your PSU should be replaced, I very much doubt its the cause of the problem.

I suspect your CPU is overheating, as you are showing the idle temp as 55'c. I would advise replacing the AMD stock cooler (its really junk), with a CM hyper 212 evo.

Your cooler may indeed be getting dirty, or its fan is failing with age. Skip the Hyper212 family though; while not bad, they tend to be beaten on price and/or performance by similar competitors. See the article here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html in which no Coolermaster product is mentioned. Some of them may be more money than you want to spend, but the Deepcool Gammax 400 is one of the competitors I mentioned, and is a good choice.

I wouldn't go with any of those if you just want something better than stock. This is cheaper than any of those, and is a quality component from a trusted company.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $19.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-29 00:36 EDT-0400

It will outperform the stock cooler by about 33% and is quieter than the stock cooler by far. If you want something with really decent mid tier performance though, then I'd consider the Cryorig H7 like Logain suggested, the Cryorig H5 Ultimate or Universal or the BeQuiet Shadow Rock slim.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk010,cryorig-cpu-cooler-h5universal,cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7/

All are higher quality units than the 212 EVO and all have better mounting systems. They are also quieter than the EVO. The only way the EVO stays in the competition is though sheer RPM, which translates as "loud" under loads.

Defintely need to ditch that PSU though. No question about that.

Solution