Need advice on first build

juicer

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Hi guys i'm new to building computers and wanted abit of advice on the compatibility/ practicality of the different components I have selected to make this build.

I'm not a gamer hence the not so great GPU but i'm after a powerful build that is going to give me a fast reliable computer that is great for downloading watching movies etc.

Any advice you can give me from experience would be appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3470 $195
Mobo: Asus P8B75-M $75
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB Single DDR3 $69
SSD: Plextor M5S 128GB $115
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (ST2000DM001) $99
GPU: Powercolor 1GB 6570 PCI-E VGA Card(EOL) $65
PSU: Antec HCG-520M 520W High Current Gamer 'Modular' Gaming PSU $99.00
TV Tuner: Avermedia AVER-3D-CAPTUREHD PCI-E 3D HD $105
DVD: Pioneer BDR-207BK Blu-Ray Writer $80
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini Black Tower Case $129
Monitor: DELL 27" S2740L IPS 7ms 1920x1080 2xUSB DVI VGA HDMI Ultra Wide Viewing Angle IPS Monitor $349
Speaker: Logitech Z623 2.1 Speaker $135
Keyboard/ Mouse: Logitech MK520 Cordless Combo Desktop (KB+MS) $53

Solution
Juicer Drop the GPU from the list if you decide to game on some point just get the best GPU you can afford at a time without stretch. Right now I'd suggest 7870 LE. Tom's has great "best for the money" series so check it out when that time comes.

There is no point investing in graphics for the "future" and generally that's not how you should build PC because we don't really know what to expect past upcoming next generation often we don't know much about the next gen either. If you want any form of future proof build wait till june and get socket 1150 board with any cpu you want tho i3 would be more than enough for your current needs.

larkspur

Distinguished
RAM: Get 2x4gb sticks (your CPU would prefer dual-channel RAM so two sticks is necessary for that).
GPU: Since you aren't gaming, you can use the integrated Intel graphics that is included on your CPU, there shouldn't be a need for a discrete graphics card.
PSU: TV Tuner cards aren't my forte (not sure how much power they need), but your system should have plenty of power with a 400w quality PSU.
Hope that helps : )

yasserBasha

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
ok ... first of all you have a nice build

but here are some recommendation to make it much better :
1-GET dual channel of RAM instead of single one , much better performance less trouble.
2- drop the SSD (it's actually NOT necessary 4 u) and get powerful GPU like HD7850 or 7950 , you'll have much better gaming especially with the resolution you have
3- opt for MIDTOWER cases instead of minitower ones, you'll need space for VGA cards and cpu coolers ( my favorites ARE cooler master 335U or corsair carbide 500R )
4- if you want faster HDD you can get WD CAVIAR BLACK 2TB, it's much faster than any HDD except VELOCIRAPTOR SERIES

BEST WISHES 4 U :)

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Ask yourself one thing do I need 4 cores ? because if you don't need them for work you don't need them at all

i3 would save you the money delivering same performance.
If you do not game you don't really need GPU especially one that would just barely run new games. Ask yourself do I game at all ? if say YES don't go below 7770 or GTX 650 or you will get disappointed.
Integrated systems are more than capable of running HD video and even low detail gaming so there is no need for discrete card if you don't game.
4 gigs of ram would be enough in 2x2GB kit. (u need dual channel that's how memory works now).
also 400W or even better 300W psu 520W would run on it's peak of inefficiency with this build ;p

That's my idea of cost cutting here on stuff you won't probably need.

What is the purpose again? For less than the amount you are paying for something that looks a like a movie-watching machine that you have to sit pretty close to, you could get a nice 46" LED TV, Blu-Ray player, and general purpose laptop. Just a thought.

juicer

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

I have a nice 55' LED TV , a Blu-Ray player & 2 laptops, I want something above the cut, sure it may be alittle overkill but so be it. I like nice things like the rest of us and when I make something I dont want it to be half arsed. I already game on xbox and i'm unsure on where it may lead to in the future.
I spend a fair amount of time infront of the computer and i want something that will operate flawlessly.
Plus it's going to have the capacity to store everthing i want it to with the option of expansion down the track.

This computer will be an enjoyable learning project for myself as much as it will be functional in the future.

Thanks.

Revine20

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Yes, 2x4gb of ram 1333hz is all you need for watch movies and get a low-end GPU AMD HD 7750, if your set for an i5 get the i5 2400 or 2500k if your planning to overclock but i doubt you do and see those SSD's get rid of them for what you are doing there is no need! :) lastly What's the Capture card for? Are you going to be recording ps3/xbox?

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Juicer Drop the GPU from the list if you decide to game on some point just get the best GPU you can afford at a time without stretch. Right now I'd suggest 7870 LE. Tom's has great "best for the money" series so check it out when that time comes.

There is no point investing in graphics for the "future" and generally that's not how you should build PC because we don't really know what to expect past upcoming next generation often we don't know much about the next gen either. If you want any form of future proof build wait till june and get socket 1150 board with any cpu you want tho i3 would be more than enough for your current needs.

no no no.... you don't need ram to watch movies what a silly idea... one would be fine with 1GB of ram to watch movies... I advised 4 GB because it's optimal for windows nt 6 needs. You get 8 coz it's cheep. Also there is no point in buying sandy bridge cpu at retail have you missed ivy release ?

Solution