Need Advice on HTPC and NAS Build

KristerS

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
I want to build both an HTPC and a NAS box. I've worked with PC components before, but never built anything myself -- this has turned into a daunting task! I had no idea how many choices there were. I've been pondering over this for too long now, so here goes:

HTPC:

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP
Budget Range: Looking to stay around $600
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Plan to run XBMC, play Blu-ray Discs and DVDs, stream ripped Blu-rays and DVDs from NAS, stream home videos, somewhat future-proof w/ability to play 3D movies, stream from Netflix, nice to be quiet
Parts Not Required: Need everything
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I'll look at several, but prefer newegg.com and amazon.com (for fuel perks by buying gift cards from the grocery store)
Parts Preferences: I always lean towards Intel
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe?
Monitor Resolution: 720p TV via HDMI; maybe 1080p in the future
Additional Comments: I've built out the following list from what I've read over the past few weeks; I plan to wire this to a gigabit switch with the NAS that's then uplinked to my router.

SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX HTPC Computer Case GD05B (Black) - NewEgg
Thermaltake W0070RUC TR2 Series 430W Power Supply with 2 Fans - Amazon
Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120 - Amazon
GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - NewEgg
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBXH - NewEgg
MSI N210-MD1G/D3 GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card - NewEgg
Crucial 64 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT064M4SSD2 - NewEgg
LG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model UH12LS28 OEM LightScribe Support - OEM - NewEgg
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack - Amazon

NAS:

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP - same time as HTPC
Budget Range: Looking to stay around $400, but hard drive prices are nuts still
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Just home media storage and streaming; holds ISOs and ripped Blu-rays; want to run something that will stream music to iPod and iPad as well (subsonic or iTunes); don't plan on this being the ultimate back-up device for anything
Parts Not Required: Plan to salvage a hard drive for the OS, but need everything else
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I'll look at several, but prefer newegg.com and amazon.com (for fuel perks by buying gift cards from the grocery store)
Additional Comments: I've built out the following list. I planned to start with 2 - 2TB drives, could start with 1 and wait for prices to go down, but may want up to 4 at some point? Planned either WHS or FreeNAS, but unRAID sounds interesting, too.

(x2) G.SKILL Value 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBNT - NewEgg
Intel Pentium G620 Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G620 - NewEgg
(x2) Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARX - Amazon
15" LCD Monitor (USED) - Amazon
Windows Home Server 2011 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEM System Builder DVD 10 Client - Amazon

Either -

ASUS USB 3.0 SATA 3Gb/s Intel H61 Mini ITX DDR3 1333 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboard - P8H61-I <REV 3.0> - Amazon
Fractal Design Array R2 Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 300W SFX PSU Power Supply - NewEgg

Or -

Intel BOXDH67BLB3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Amazon
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - NewEgg
Thermaltake W0070RUC TR2 Series 430W Power Supply with 2 Fans - Amazon

Any advice on these would be great! Also, do you need to buy cables or do most parts come with cables - it's hard to tell for sure...

Thanks in advance,
Krister

KristerS

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Sorry, forgot something... if I want to get a fancy remote for the HTPC, do I need to get a different case?

Thanks again!

No need for a different case. Just get a USB IR receiver and place it somewhere unobtrusive. Most remotes will come with a USB IR receiver. If your "fancy remote" is a Harmony, it can use the IR receiver that comes with the other cheaper remotes.

KristerS

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Wow! How did you come up with that so fast. Thanks for the feedback.

I got the feeling from some of the many posts I found that the Intel i3 21xx had better native support for 3D TV. Is AMD also able to handle 3D?

KristerS

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Thanks, I didn't realize that. Sorry for the "fancy remote" comment... I did have my eye on a Harmony for sure.

AMD Llano is ideal for HD / 3D playback. It has better integrated video compared to the Intel 2000 / 3000. With your budgets I don't think you will be able to swing Intel builds. Close, but you are going to get more bang-for-your-buck with an AMD solution (video being the big one).

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
The fanciest remote of all is an Android/iOS phone or tablet running an app that can control your media center software over the network.
You can also stream content from your HTPC to your Android/iOS device that way.

As for the NAS: Why not buy a NAS instead of making one yourself? You can buy a decent 4-bay NAS for less than $400 bucks.

Another alternative: Run the media server on your self-built NAS (some purpose made NAS servers can also be used to run XBMC or PLEX servers) and instead of a HTPC just have a cheap set-top-box under your TV.
You can buy an AppleTV box for 100bucks, jailbreak it and run a XBMC or PLEX client on it. I bet there are plenty of other alternatives, too.

KristerS

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Oh, that's a good point about the remote, thanks.

As for the off the shelf NAS, I want to run other stuff on it to allow it to stream iTunes songs. I have a DLink DNS 323 with an iTunes server and my iPod/iPad don't see the songs unless I have a computer accessing the NAS and set up to share. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with that, but I assumed I should just go with something I build and run extra software on it - like unRAID with Subsonic or something like that.

I do want to play Blu-ray discs on the HTPC, so that's why I wanted to build out something there.

KristerS

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Thanks, you've opened my eyes to AMD, then!

redscare24

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
When I was doing my research I discovered these guys that do both HTPC's and NAS units.

Even if you don't use them they might give you some ideas for what you could do.

www.assassinhtpc.com