[SOLVED] Need advice on my first build! $1200 1440p

Bzay9020

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rmgDGc

Here is my first build put together! Ive never done this before, so any advice and info on what components could work better, I’m very open to criticism! I hope to play Apex Legends on a 27” 1440p monitor while having a stream setup on a 2nd 27” 1080p monitor. Could this be accomplished consistently with max settings on this PC? Thanks in advance for the help!

Solution
I only have one monitor at the moment, and I can give it to my girlfriend if I need to. I’ll be sure the 2 I end up with have the same native refresh.
Different refresh rates leads to stuttering, because the frame buffers are out of sync, and the only tried and true ways around that is:
-same native refresh
-plugging the secondary screen into the motherboard instead - but the cpu needs to have an iGPU.

Realistically it seems almost pointless to order it now rather than wait for the 3000 line, right?
Yep. RTX 3000 next month, and AMD confirmed Ryzen 4000 before the year ends - no exact date on that one, as far as I know.

Honestly I don’t plan on upgrading for a while, unless something requires it.
Ok, so you're...

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019

Here is my first build put together! Ive never done this before, so any advice and info on what components could work better, I’m very open to criticism! I hope to play Apex Legends on a 27” 1440p monitor while having a stream setup on a 2nd 27” 1080p monitor. Could this be accomplished consistently with max settings on this PC? Thanks in advance for the help!

I like everything that you have picked, other than the case. For my builds, and especially my first build I just prefer a Full tower case, like a big ole box that I can really get my hands into. With the amount of components that I ended up putting in and swapping out over time, especially little accessories - like lights and fans and rgb stuff and expanding M.2 slots and adding SSD's - I just like to have ALOT of room to work with. But- that's just me, thought I would share being that it's your first try.

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
I like everything that you have picked, other than the case. For my builds, and especially my first build I just prefer a Full tower case, like a big ole box that I can really get my hands into. With the amount of components that I ended up putting in and swapping out over time, especially little accessories - like lights and fans and rgb stuff and expanding M.2 slots and adding SSD's - I just like to have ALOT of room to work with. But- that's just me, thought I would share being that it's your first try.

Hey- In addition, I actually BUILT and sold a whole system using that same motherboard - the msi tomahawk B450

It looks good till you get to the end. The power supply you picked is junk and has no place in your build. PSU is first consideration for a build since everything depends on it. Look for Corsair or Seasonic gold models at 650 watts.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RQhnYH

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Depends a bit on what your using to stream. edit program!

In general the memory is fairly bad 3600 OK but 18 CL not really good, the SSD is way over priced it's just a regular SSD in M.2 form factor it's not a NVME drive, For the power supply it's just garbage and I would not use it at all for a fairly high end gaming build.

The case is no big deal whatever you like really but for the processor I would add a aftermarket cooler since the stock coolers are barely adequate and limit the boost speed of the processor.

Max settings probably no your going to need to limit the stream settings, for the game max settings and high look about the same.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Needs a cooler. The Wraith cooler doesn't appear to be adequate for anything even moderately heavy; there have been too many complaints with these coolers with regards to thermals...
-That power supply, with that gpu? NO. That psu is a piece of crap. You went too cheap here. It should at least cost as much as that memory kit.
=I hope the 2 monitors have the same native refresh? If not, connecting both to the gpu can introduce stuttering, and the Ryzen 3600X doesn't have an iGpu...
8.5/10, IMO.

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
The one thing that will cause problems with posting (well not THE ONE) thing, but frustrations galore can result in troubleshooting a motherboard that will appear to be "DOA" or otherwise "screwed" is not getting quite enough juice.

You CAN save about 50 or 60 bucks if you get a MOBO without RGB and big I/O guard covers

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Outer Visions power supply calculator puts that partpicker list in the 550W constant 80 range. That's without adding any other parts in the future; so I would not go with a PSU under 600W - me personally.
I know that nobody is spewing buckets of cash to solve your dilemma.

Bzay9020

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016
Outer Visions power supply calculator puts that partpicker list in the 550W constant 80 range. That's without adding any other parts in the future; so I would not go with a PSU under 600W - me personally.
I know that nobody is spewing buckets of cash to solve your dilemma.

I adjusted the Motherboard and the power supply, how does this look?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wKmyjp

is compatibility with this somthing i need to worry about?

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Newegg Actually has their own pc builder tool that is just like pcpartspicker. I found some better prices on newegg pc builder tool on 650 watt power supplies. I also found a great price on a Crucial P1 CT1000P M.2 SSD.
There are also ryzen 5 3600 cpu's that come with the wraith cooler all in one box - could help out on $$

I adjusted the Motherboard and the power supply, how does this look?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wKmyjp

is compatibility with this somthing i need to worry about?
You still have the wrong drive. It's an old sata drive. You want a newer faster NVME drive. It's the same price. The P300A is a fine case but only comes with a fan in the back. You need to buy at least 1 fan for the front.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $119.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-23 23:21 EDT-0400

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, so you want to stay under 1200USD, if at all possible. Got it.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($104.50 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card ($444.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1162.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-24 10:20 EDT-0400

A)If you're not comfortable with the RX card, you can swap in the MSI RTX 2070 TRI FROZR instead.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($182.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: GeIL EVO SPEAR Phantom Gaming 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($104.50 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card ($429.99 @ Walmart)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1194.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-24 10:31 EDT-0400

A)I know I have a locked cpu paired with a Z mobo here, but I don't know your upgrade window. If you're the type to ride it out until the next platform, then swap in a B460 motherboard. If not, the Z board should be good for an 11th gen 11600K or something.
B)Again, RX card - can swap in the 2070 Tri Frozr instead if you prefer.

I almost forgot to ask: Do your monitors have the same native refresh rate?

Last edited: