[SOLVED] need advice on new 850W PSU

Dec 13, 2021
Hello,
I just created an account for this question. Nice to meet you all.

I recently purchased some parts for a new gaming build. And I would like to upgrade the GPU in the near future, preferably a RTX 3070 or 3080 assuming I can save enough coins for either of those.

CPU: i5-11400
motherboard: ASUS B560M-A
RAM: G.Skill 16X2 3200MHz - XMP activated
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 Ti EVO TOP Edition (from the old rig - hoping for an upgrade next year)
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
temporarily using Zalman zm-550-XG PSU (I don't know how old it is - from a local garage sale PC. Works well though)
Windows 10 Home

I would like to buy a good 850W PSU for this build and I can't decide what to buy.

Choosing from the tier A from the "tier list" on this forum, and based on today's price on newegg, I would like to choose among these 4 models. The price spread is 40 USD.

Seasonic Focus GX 850W (10yr) 90 USD
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GT (7yr) 100USD
Corsair RM850 white (10yr) 110 USD
Corsair RM850x (10yr) 130 USD

I would like to know if all tier A models are pretty much similar in terms of quality and robustness, so I can simply go by prices, or whether higher price units have any advantages, and if so, whether the advantages are worth the price. Please help me choosing one so I can buy one soon.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
I would like to know if all tier A models are pretty much similar in terms of quality and robustness
Ones marked with gold color are. Corsair RM-x is somewhat better than Seasonic Focus GX but it isn't worth the 40$ difference. There's also EVGA G6 tho, which is better than Focus at least. It's not in tier A in the tier list revision on this forum, but it's outdated, in the up-to-date revision it is.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
I would like to know if all tier A models are pretty much similar in terms of quality and robustness
Ones marked with gold color are. Corsair RM-x is somewhat better than Seasonic Focus GX but it isn't worth the 40$ difference. There's also EVGA G6 tho, which is better than Focus at least. It's not in tier A in the tier list revision on this forum, but it's outdated, in the up-to-date revision it is.

Reactions: caa0621
Solution
Dec 13, 2021
Hi @caa0621 (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

Seasonic Focus GX 850W (10yr) 90 USD is a good choice for the price, decent Warranty and Gold certified, and is fully modular.

All of what you have listed are quality and efficient units to support your build and provide for future GPU upgrade. (y):D

Thank you for taking time and giving advices. It seems that the price difference somewhat reflects the actual value of the models but not in the full amount.

Unfortunately the Seasonic GX is backordered now - so I just purchased EVGA G6 for 100USD plus tax. Comes with 10 year warranty as well.

Thanks a lot.

TRENDING THREADS