[SOLVED] Need advice on new CPU for gaming

Feb 7, 2019
Asus H81m-k
i5 4570
16gb ram
RTX 2070

My motherboard has a LGA 1150 socket so I'm limited. There is a i7 4790 that has dropped in price on Newegg that I'm interested in. That's about as advanced as I can find for LGA 1150. Along with my new gpu and ram, would this be a good upgrade for gaming on high settings to last me a few years? Also how important is CPU in gaming?

boju

Champion
In games today the recommended thread count has moved up to 8. 4 cores are finding it hard whilst trying to prepare frames for powerful graphics cards like the one you have. Higher fps + combining other cpu tasks such as physics/Ai/multiplayer and map loading can overwhelm a cpu if not capable enough. That means high cpu usages affecting overall performance and frame rates.

4790's extra threads will pretty much be a day/night difference if games you play are cpu intensive like Battlefield, Farcry and Ghost Recon Wildlands.

boju

Champion
To answer your question about lasting a few years. It's possible, there is a good chance the 4790 will remain decent long enough till then but that's only a guess. Long as you're not expecting 100+ frame rates as time goes by.

DDR5/Pcie 5 platforms should be mainstream by then too.

Feb 7, 2019
To answer your question about lasting a few years. It's possible, there is a good chance the 4790 will remain decent long enough till then but that's only a guess. Long as you're not expecting 100+ frame rates as time goes by.

DDR5/Pcie 5 platforms should be mainstream by then too.
Ok thanks for the help.

ASK THE COMMUNITY