[SOLVED] Need advice on new CPU for gaming

Feb 7, 2019
Asus H81m-k
i5 4570
16gb ram
RTX 2070

My motherboard has a LGA 1150 socket so I'm limited. There is a i7 4790 that has dropped in price on Newegg that I'm interested in. That's about as advanced as I can find for LGA 1150. Along with my new gpu and ram, would this be a good upgrade for gaming on high settings to last me a few years? Also how important is CPU in gaming?

Solution
In games today the recommended thread count has moved up to 8. 4 cores are finding it hard whilst trying to prepare frames for powerful graphics cards like the one you have. Higher fps + combining other cpu tasks such as physics/Ai/multiplayer and map loading can overwhelm a cpu if not capable enough. That means high cpu usages affecting overall performance and frame rates.

4790's extra threads will pretty much be a day/night difference if games you play are cpu intensive like Battlefield, Farcry and Ghost Recon Wildlands.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
In games today the recommended thread count has moved up to 8. 4 cores are finding it hard whilst trying to prepare frames for powerful graphics cards like the one you have. Higher fps + combining other cpu tasks such as physics/Ai/multiplayer and map loading can overwhelm a cpu if not capable enough. That means high cpu usages affecting overall performance and frame rates.

4790's extra threads will pretty much be a day/night difference if games you play are cpu intensive like Battlefield, Farcry and Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
To answer your question about lasting a few years. It's possible, there is a good chance the 4790 will remain decent long enough till then but that's only a guess. Long as you're not expecting 100+ frame rates as time goes by.

DDR5/Pcie 5 platforms should be mainstream by then too.

Feb 7, 2019
To answer your question about lasting a few years. It's possible, there is a good chance the 4790 will remain decent long enough till then but that's only a guess. Long as you're not expecting 100+ frame rates as time goes by.

DDR5/Pcie 5 platforms should be mainstream by then too.
Ok thanks for the help.