Need advice on new custom gaming pc

kwikplumbing

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
Building new custom gaming pc. Need input on storage hardware. Should I get ssd or m.2 and should I have a separate storage for my operating system and another for games pr one large one for both?

My current setup:

CaseLeviathan

MotherboardASUS X299 TUF MKII ATX

ProcessorIntel® Ten Core™ i9-7900X Processor

Power SupplyCorsair RM850 Watt Power Supply

Graphics CardASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition

Sound CardsOnboard Audio

HDD/SSDSeagate Barracuda 1TB - 7200RPM 3.5" HDD

CPU PasteStandard CPU Thermal Paste

GPU PasteStandard Graphics Card Thermal Paste

OSWindows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit

Anti-VirusXidax Gaming Shield - Virus & Malware Protection

MemoryDDR4 3200MHz G.SKILL Trident Z-16GB

CPU CoolingCORSAIR Hydro Series H100i V2 Water Cooler

Solution
For gaming, regular SSD is good enough. Do you really need 7900X ? 8700k is good enough and much cheaper. No games can benefit from that many cores.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
It's crazy how much everyone is against me installing a i9 7900x. This is a hobby build like building a muscle car from the ground up. People know you don't need a engine with 1000HP but they install it anyway. This PC isn't for gaming only I want to build a beast of a PC that's a powerhouse. I don't have a specific budget so I'm going to go overboard on every component because I can and want to not because I need to. It's not going to hurt anything by me installing a i9 7900x. I actuslly was going to go with the i9 7980xe with 16 cores lol. It's a hobby I want to build the fastest beast I can that's all.

How about you try for a 8700k 1080ti build with custom water cooling? And put it in a case like the view 71, it will look dope.
We got some liquid cooled 1080ti like the Zotac artic storm, evga hydro copper, aorus waterforce extreme etc.
Pair it up with not a cpu water block but instead a monoblock and this will kick ass.
Open a new thread and private msg us the thread url if you are interested ;)

P.S. : before anyone jumps the gun and say the monoblocks for the z370 aren't released yet, some of the z270 ones are compatible with z370, like this model https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fb-ga-z270x-rgb-monoblock-nickel
And I consider the aorus gaming 5/7 one of the best z370 XD

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I already have the i9 7900x installed. Why is it you think I should downgrade my cpu?? I really would like to replace my cooler froom Corsair Hydro H100i V2. I want a liquid cooler that is expandable so I can add a GPU block in the future.

The swiftech, fractal design, alphacool aio are expandable coolers. And if you really want to oc, a custom loop with a monoblock is the way to go.
Also consider delidding the i9. It makes a huge difference.

If you really want to show off ur build, build it in a case like the thermaltake view 71 with vertical gpu mount.

But if you plan on cooling both the cpu and gpu, the alphacool eisbaer 360 or swiftech h240x 2 would probably do it. A 360 rad is really recommended.

kwikplumbing

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
Is this cooler closed loop or can i add to it? Also does it support my processor which is a LGA 2066 socket?