s3lin1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Hello everyone ,

so I will be switching my current asus z170 viii ranger + 6600k to a msi z490 a pro + 10400f.
I have a sata SSD which has windows installed on it . I Have a digital licence and it's linked and activated with my microsoft account and all that. On this SSD i only have windows and some programs installed like mozilla cpuz etc.
I also have 2 HDDs which have games and all my files on them.

Do i need a clean install or can i just plug the SSD and use "perform a reset and remove evyrthing" also do i need to do anything with my HDDs? Or can i just plug them on the new motherboard and everything will work fine .

thanks for your help

Solution
Hello everyone ,

so I will be switching my current asus z170 viii ranger + 6600k to a msi z490 a pro + 10400f.
I have a sata SSD which has windows installed on it . I Have a digital licence and it's linked and activated with my microsoft account and all that. On this SSD i only have windows and some programs installed like mozilla cpuz etc.

Do i need a clean install or can i just plug the SSD and use "perform a reset and remove evyrthing" also do i need to do anything with my HDDs? Or can i just plug them on the new motherboard and everything will work fine .

thanks for your help
Hello

Windows is linked to your macadress, so that means in theory if you swap...
Hello everyone ,

thanks for your help
Hello

Windows is linked to your macadress, so that means in theory if you swap mobos, you'll have to change your windows key

that said windows allows for 1 migration, use a software like produkey to extract your licence code (or any other method, google around)

you'll have to do a win install from scratch for this to work

also if you swap out a mobo a reinstall is needed anyways

your HDD's should be fine, no need to format those

Good luck

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS