Question Need advice on PC build for Video Editing

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 28, 2019
Hello all,

Haven't built a PC in over a decade and am overwhelmed with all these choices, hoping someone can help!
Will need it for primarily for editing videos in 4k (using Premiere Pro). Won't be doing anything more intensive than that.
This is what I settled on - just wondering if I can replace any components with something cheaper and still get the job done.

PC Build (no motherboard)

Motherboard:
MSI Z390-A Pro

Thanks!!

P.S. (if this build actually can't handle 4k editing that would also be good to know :D)

May 28, 2019
Question is, is Op going to stick to just Premiere. It's one thing to just nip and tuck edit, it's a whole different thing if you break into After Affects, Photoshop, gpu rendering vrs cpu rendering, live streaming or recording, resolutions etc.

And budget aside, just how serious is this? Is it work type needs or passing the time hobby with no real time constraints? Having better performance, especially with rendering, compiling etc when time is money is one thing, setting a render then going and getting dinner, get back to it whenever, is another. One requires some muscle to get the job done expediently, the other doesn't, it just has to be able to do the job.

Either way, it's an upgrade. How much of one, encompassing what limitations is going to be upto Op to decide as to value.

Time is, of course, important to me. And this is work, not just a hobby.
However, my needs are probably different than most video editors.
I create short educational videos heavy on graphics and light on effects. I will not be branching out of premiere.
Which is why I ran tests on a typical project with my current machine, hoping that we could use those results as a benchmark for what specs I need.
Please let me know if this approach is misguided or the data I provided was insufficient.
I want to make a decision that makes sense to me. And I'm still learning so I appreciate everyone's patience.

Updated build for consideration:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (Micro Center Combo $459.98)
CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (Newegg $44.49)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Micro Center Combo $0.00)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP - EX920 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($52.99 Newegg Promo)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Z Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - 400QC ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Newegg Promo $62.98)
Micro Center $5 Coupon
Total: $1294.39

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-09 14:48 EDT-0400

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-...060419-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17139231-S2A5C

https://instore.thread.co/retailmen...M6W55NKFEH5RU&session=FxGdDMNKzA5cd79bb2ab9f6

Intel SSD Newegg Promo Code: EMCTBTC24

The Intel SSD is for the C-drive. The faster HP SSD is for the working drive. I managed to get an excellent MSI RTX 2060 in there- it's a nice quiet card. The MB no longer has the higher end sound though. If you can bust the budget a bit, then I would get the Gigabyte Aorus Pro MB.

Thanks again Bearmann. The tests I ran led me to believe that I technically don't need to upgrade my GPU. My rendering speed is acceptable with my current device and even with full resolution my GPU usage doesn't clock over 30%. Also looks like my perceived HDD issue is a RAM issue (thanks Karadjgne).

So the above build with a cheaper video card would seem to fit my needs and still be reasonably priced. If I'm reaching the wrong conclusion with the GPU please let me know.

Time is, of course, important to me. And this is work, not just a hobby.
However, my needs are probably different than most video editors.
I create short educational videos heavy on graphics and light on effects. I will not be branching out of premiere.
Which is why I ran tests on a typical project with my current machine, hoping that we could use those results as a benchmark for what specs I need.
Please let me know if this approach is misguided or the data I provided was insufficient.
I want to make a decision that makes sense to me. And I'm still learning so I appreciate everyone's patience.

Thanks again Bearmann. The tests I ran led me to believe that I technically don't need to upgrade my GPU. My rendering speed is acceptable with my current device and even with full resolution my GPU usage doesn't clock over 30%. Also looks like my perceived HDD issue is a RAM issue (thanks Karadjgne).

So the above build with a cheaper video card would seem to fit my needs and still be reasonably priced. If I'm reaching the wrong conclusion with the GPU please let me know.

As long as your workflow doesn't change, I think you are correct. I think the build in post #21 would suit you nicely.

Reactions: Basille