Need advice on PC parts choice

Hi all, and thanks in advance for your advice ! (and please excuse any english language faults...)

I'm planning on buying a new CPU+MOBO+RAM, with OC options to boost them, but as i've never OCd anything, i'd like to have your advice on the parts i have choosen before i buy them.

After much reading here and there, i intended to buy the following parts:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHZ FSB1066 4MB S775 + intel stock cooler
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 ATX Socket 775
Corsair Twin2x2048-6400C4 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400 (4-4-4-12)

As far as i know, these parts should be fairly easily OCd to achieve E6700 equivalent results, or even more. Is that correct?

As a newbie to OC, i don't intend to reach OC records, so i would like to OC these parts as much as possible but not risking too much. I have read that the E6420 can be OCd to 3.2Ghz by raising the FSB to 400Mhz, and this without increasing the voltage, and even with intel's stock cooler. Is that correct? Should i buy a better cooler? If so, would a Zalman CNPS9700 make it? If voltage is likely to need an increase to reach 400Mhz FSB, how much can i expect it to be increased? Is such a voltage increase fairly secure, or am i risking to ruin the CPU?

What wattage should i go for for the PSU? Would 450W be enough? (the PC will likely have 4 HD and 2 CDs, but no extra sound card, nor anything else).

As for the RAM, is my choice a good one for my purpose? I have read that having a 1:1 relation between RAM frequency and FSB is better than not, so i understand that planning to raise the CPU FSB to 400Mhz should perfectly match the 800Mhz of DDR2-6400, isn't it?

I also plan on buying a GeForce 8800GTS 320MB to go along the rest, i guess it's the good choice rigth now and will give me a lot of room ahead before i have to renew the hardware.

Thanks for you help, and please excuse my newbie questions which are surely answered somewhere else (but then, well, you know how difficult finding help among 3 million posts is... heh)

Shostakovichfanboy

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Sounds good, but I'd suggest a MOBO with SLI support (like something with the 650i 680i chipset, depending on your budget) and a better PSU. I have an Asus P5n-E SLI and can easily OC my e6400 to 3.5 Ghz with a 437.5 Mhz FSB with stock voltage. From what i've heard, this works with the stock cooler but I use a zalman 9700 anyways.

Thanks for the advice, Shostakovichfanboy, i'll get a Zalman 9500 (more silent than 9700?), and certainly a better PSU. As for the Mobo, SLI doesn't interest me, 1 x 8800GTS is more than enough for my needs :)