[SOLVED] Need Advice on PC upgrade (CPU,RAM, Motherboard)

kaipirinha

Commendable
Dec 27, 2018
Hi there,
I want to do a CPU/RAM/Motherboard upgrade of my 5 to 6 year old system. The CPU is almost set, I want to stay with intel and the i7 10700k seems good for mid to high end gaming for a while. I mostly need advice on Motherboard, RAM, Cooler and Power Supply but i am open to comments on the CPU as well.

Why upgrade?
CPU (I7 4790K) is getting really old and I will have some free time soon. Also, the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is on the horizon.

Approximate Purchase Date:
Flexible. Soon or a few weeks or month. I can wait, if needed.

System Usage:
Gameing and some photo editing. I am kind of a high end gamer but I never buy components that have a super bad price/performance ratio like an intel i9 or nvidia Titan.

Overclocking:
No. Automatic features maybe but nothing fancy. No special cooling and no manual modifications.

SLI/Crossfire: No

Budget Range: What is needed but should be under 1000€. System has to last 5 years

CPU:
Intel I7 10700k to replace my I7 4790K (maybe a different variant like F or non-K. Will check the prices shortly before buying.)

Cooler:
No idea. Not the boxed cooler. Something real but not overpriced.

RAM
32GB to replace my 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 DIMM CL9 Dual Kit
What I found are maybe the 32GB-Crucial-Ballistix-Sport-DDR4-3000-DIMM-CL15-Dual-Kit or the 32GB-Corsair-Vengeance-LPX-DDR4-3200-DIMM-CL16-Dual-Kit.
One has the faster frequency and the other has a lower latency. Are both choices ok? What should I prefer?
The 10700K supports "Memory Types DDR4-2933" according to Intel specifications. Does this mean higher RAM speeds are a waste on this CPU?

Motherboard:
No idea. I am coming from the Asus Z97-Pro Gamer and liked it.

Power Supply:
I think I should replace my current PSU650 Watt be quiet! Dark power Pro 10 Modular 80+ Gold. Maybe I could keep it but it will be 6 years old soon and I don’t want it to fail before the next renewing cycle and I want it to fully support the new Mainboard and CPU. Now I could sell the old one in a working set with the other used components.
Not sure if I should buy the dark power pro series again or if the cheaper straight power series is just as good for me. Both have cable management.
Also not sure, if I should upgrade to 750W or stay at 650W. I will have like 4 hard drives but nothing fancy like a 2 graphics cards, water cooling or lights in my case.

Componets I have and intent to keep
-Monitor:
4k 60hz gaming Monitor
-GPU: NVidia 2080
-Case: Fractal Design Define R5
-SSD: Samsung M.2 SSD 970Evo 500GB and some HDDs

Solution
Hi there,
I want to do a CPU/RAM/Motherboard upgrade of my 5 to 6 year old system. The CPU is almost set, I want to stay with intel and the i7 10700k seems good for mid to high end gaming for a while. I mostly need advice on Motherboard, RAM, Cooler and Power Supply but i am open to comments on the CPU as well.

Why upgrade?
CPU (I7 4790K) is getting really old and I will have some free time soon. Also, the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is on the horizon.

System Usage:
Gameing and some photo editing. I am kind of a high end gamer but I never buy components that have a super bad price/performance ratio like an intel i9...
Hi there,

Why upgrade?

System Usage:
Gameing and some photo editing. I am kind of a high end gamer but I never buy components that have a super bad price/performance ratio like an intel i9 or nvidia Titan.

Overclocking:
No. Automatic features maybe but nothing fancy. No special cooling and no manual modifications.

SLI/Crossfire: No

Budget Range: What is needed but should be under 1000€. System has to last 5 years

CPU:
Intel I7 10700k to replace my I7 4790K (maybe a different variant like F or non-K. Will check the prices shortly before buying.)

Cooler:
No idea. Not the boxed cooler. Something real but not overpriced.

RAM
32GB to replace my 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 DIMM CL9 Dual Kit
What I found are maybe the 32GB-Crucial-Ballistix-Sport-DDR4-3000-DIMM-CL15-Dual-Kit or the 32GB-Corsair-Vengeance-LPX-DDR4-3200-DIMM-CL16-Dual-Kit.
One has the faster frequency and the other has a lower latency. Are both choices ok? What should I prefer?
The 10700K supports "Memory Types DDR4-2933" according to Intel specifications. Does this mean higher RAM speeds are a waste on this CPU?

Motherboard:
No idea. I am coming from the Asus Z97-Pro Gamer and liked it.

Power Supply:
I think I should replace my current PSU650 Watt be quiet! Dark power Pro 10 Modular 80+ Gold. Maybe I could keep it but it will be 6 years old soon and I don’t want it to fail before the next renewing cycle and I want it to fully support the new Mainboard and CPU. Now I could sell the old one in a working set with the other used components.
Not sure if I should buy the dark power pro series again or if the cheaper straight power series is just as good for me. Both have cable management.
Also not sure, if I should upgrade to 750W or stay at 650W. I will have like 4 hard drives but nothing fancy like a 2 graphics cards, water cooling or lights in my case.

Componets I have and intent to keep
-Monitor:
4k 60hz gaming Monitor
-GPU: NVidia 2080
-Case: Fractal Design Define R5
-SSD: Samsung M.2 SSD 970Evo 500GB and some HDDs
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (€378.21 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€78.70 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1200 Motherboard (€199.79 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€202.75 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€111.31 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €970.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-04 21:01 CEST+0200

Solution

TRENDING THREADS