[SOLVED] Need advice on RAM

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
I'm looking to add more RAM to my system and I need some advice.

I have a Gigabyte P85-D3 motherboard and 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz. I want to add a single 8GB Ram. I found this RAM and wanted to know if this would work on my system along with the other 2 RAMs. On its specs, it says its memory configuration is a quad channel and I'm not sure what that means.

Advice on this would be very appreciated.

Solution
That is single module.
Quad channel mode requires 4 ram module kit and motherboard supporting quad channel (your board doesn't).

Whether it will work with your existing ram ... you won't know until you tried it.
It can work (in single channel or flex mode though), it may also require manual tweaking or ram parameters, or it may refuse to work altogether.

Better get 2x8GB kit. That one is guarantied to work (in dual channel mode).
https://www.amazon.in/Corsair-Venge...16GB+DDR3&qid=1561443726&s=electronics&sr=1-3
That is single module.
Quad channel mode requires 4 ram module kit and motherboard supporting quad channel (your board doesn't).

Whether it will work with your existing ram ... you won't know until you tried it.
It can work (in single channel or flex mode though), it may also require manual tweaking or ram parameters, or it may refuse to work altogether.

Better get 2x8GB kit. That one is guarantied to work (in dual channel mode).
https://www.amazon.in/Corsair-Venge...16GB+DDR3&qid=1561443726&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Solution

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Better get 2x8GB kit.

I can't buy 2 RAMs right now. Can only get 1.

I was thinking the same thing. I already have the 2 4GB RAMs in dual channel so I'm not planning on mixing 4 with 8. Can I run the 8GB in single channel along with the 4GBs in dual channel like it is shown in the article?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes you can try as the diagram suggests, 8GB in dimm3 and the 4GB's in 1&2.

Mixing 4GB with 8GM in flex mode might be another configuration to try if the first way doesn't work.

Bundling different ram together regardless of which slots are used may not work. Motherboards can be fussy about ram and is usually recommended to buy memory in kits. However amount of sticks in a kit are tested to make sure they all like each other otherwise the motherboard will get angry. Not always the case though, adopted sticks aren't always trouble.

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Yes you can try as the diagram suggests, 8GB in dimm3 and the 4GB's in 1&2.

Mixing 4GB with 8GM in flex mode might be another configuration to try if the first way doesn't work.

Bundling different ram together regardless of which slots are used may not work. Motherboards can be fussy about ram and is usually recommended to buy memory in kits. However amount of sticks in a kit are tested to make sure they all like each other otherwise the motherboard will get angry. Not always the case though, adopted sticks aren't always trouble.

All of the RAMs would have everything in common such as brand, MHz, etc. except that one would be double the size of the other two. As long as the quad channel isn't mandatory and I can use it on my motherboard as a single channel and hopefully dual channel in the future by adding another 8GB I think I might try it. Returns aren't normally possible in my country so it'll be an irreversible gamble. I don't think going the flex way would be right for me since then either I will have to sacrifice a stick or use all my RAM in single channels, which I don't think would be productive.

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Fingers crossed

I had success mixing another 2x 8GB sticks 7ish years later. Same specs (voltage and timings, not so much capacity) does help improve chances.

By the way, if I go with a 4GB stick, would that have the possibility of being rejected by the motherboard too? If I try to use it with the other two 4GB sticks, that is.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
4GB instead of the 8? Or 2x 4GB, 1x 8GB and add another 4GB later? I couldn't say how either configuration will go until it's tried.

You're better off trying to sell the ram you have, even for a little cheaper to get them sold and go for 2x 8GB, that would be ideal but if cant, maybe wait?

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
4GB instead of the 8? Or 2x 4GB, 1x 8GB and add another 4GB later? I couldn't say how either configuration will go until it's tried.

You're better off trying to sell the ram you have, even for a little cheaper to get them sold and go for 2x 8GB, that would be ideal but if cant, maybe wait?

No. I meant instead of buying an 8GB stick what if I add another 4GB to my existing 2x4GB? Instead of having a total of 16GB I'd have 12GB. And in the future, if I need more then I can add another 4GB. I'm only doing this for games. These days a maximum of 8GB is required by most major games. Even in the next 5 or so years, it'll most probably go up 10 or 12GB. I doubt I'd need 16GB too soon for future games. And by the time I do end up needing 16GB, I'd probably change my whole PC by then. I don't use anything else that'll require so much RAM. So if I can get away with using 3x4GB sticks instead 2x4 + 1x8 I don't mind doing that.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah no guarantees either way. 8GB could work and the 4GB doesn't or vice versa. Won't know until D-day.

Regarding ram requirements depends what games. 16 has already become the recommended requirement. 12GB should be fine too but 16GB being more to do with keeping twin sticks fully in dual channel. 8GB isn't too bad in today's games if have an SSD to speed up the pagefile.

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Yeah no guarantees either way. 8GB could work and the 4GB doesn't or vice versa. Won't know until D-day.

Regarding ram requirements depends what games. 16 has already become the recommended requirement. 12GB should be fine too but 16GB being more to do with keeping twin sticks fully in dual channel. 8GB isn't too bad in today's games if have an SSD to speed up the pagefile.

I didn't know that 16 is already the recommended requirement. 8GB is working well for me for now. I just wanted to futureproof my PC. I'll check around to see if I can get 2x8GB for a cheaper price. Should I stick with Corsair or do you have any brand recommendation?

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Have had Corsair and Gskill without any problems

Gskill seems to be costlier. I guess I'll stick with Corsair. They don't seem to be sold in kits here. At least not online. Gonna have to check locally but I'm pretty sure I'll end up with individual sticks.

Anyways, thanks for the help again. I truly appreciate it.

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Youre welcome. Where are you based? Could Newegg ship to you if price/shipping costs are reasonable?

I got my ram from them sent here to Australia

I'm from India. It seems Newegg would ship here. And I did find a pair of 8GB sticks. But they are showing two different prices. One a discounted price and the other a VAT-inclusive price. The discounted price looks good. But if I have to pay the latter one then it's about the same as it would cost here in Amazon. Of course in Amazon, I'd have to buy individually instead of a set.

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Im not sure regarding the import taxes in India. If Newegg ship to India they should include the tax which i think VAT-inclusive price means. Could be wrong but have a feeling the discount might be US/Canada only.

Possibly. Can you tell me what's the difference between the black and the red one? They have different CAS Latency and Timing but the red one is cheaper. Is that the better one?