Need advice on setting up PC as HTPC

jbmc

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Hi, I want to use my old desktop (AMD Athlon 64 2.19 Ghz) as a HTPC, mostly as a PVR for playback on plasma tv, watching internet vid's and NO GAMING. I wanted to make sure that I have an idea of all that I need to do so. I tried to connect my pc to my tv a few mths ago with the ASUS EAH3450/DI/256M Radeon HD 3450 and finally gave up trying to setup the audio after a very frustrating couple of weeks. Can I accomplish my goal without using a video card? The guide to my TV shows that I can connect VGA to VGA ports but I'm not sure how to set up the audio and if I connect this way, I suppose I won't be able to use a monitor also, seeing how my pc only has one VGA port. Any ideas?

I also guess that I will need a tv tuner card (I was looking into a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150, is this a good one?). And then all I need is PVR software, correct?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
with a good video card you can use two outputs, like monitor and TV.

The TV card comes from a good company, but is the lowest end model they make, you might want to step a notch as then you can watch one show and record a different one. It will happen more than you think about now.

I went with a card and software from a company called Slap Stream for a package. You will want Windows Media edition, I think it is availible on Vista and XP

Not sure what audio problem can be but I am not a big sound person most times.