[SOLVED] Need advice on UPS purchase

Sep 10, 2020
What UPS is needed for my Gigabyte GP-B700H 700W ATX12V SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply PSU?

My rig-
Ryzen 2700x
16gb ddr4 ram 8x2
240gb ssd
1tb hdd 7500rpm
Gigabyte b450m ds3h mobo
Gtx 2070 super
24inch aopen 144hz moniter
Gigabyte GP-B700H 700W ATX12V SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Currently using 600va ups causing random restart
What va or watt i need for this rig

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
What happens when such a UPS exhausts its surge suppression potential (it wears down over time)? Would it shut down safely and stop providing power to the batteries, or simply blow them up with the next voltage spike?
My electricity is pretty stable. We have underground utility feeds to entire neighborhoods. My UPSs live a very calm life :)
The double conversion units are very robust. They are intended for commercial use. Each of my UPSs have 4 batteries rather than 1. But they are only rated at 1500W.
My guess as to what would happen is that the surge suppressor would fail, just like a power strip and the input to the batteries would stop. The unit would run on battery as long as possible then stop.

kanewolf

Titan
On full load your computer should consume like 400-420watts (plus 45-60watts from monitor) and your PS is just 320-330watts. So i think thats the problem.

Get a 600watts UPS
No. A 600W UPS is only rated for 300W load.
Get an accurate measurement of the power usage with one of these -- https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU (there is an EU version also) THEN use that information on APC's website -- https://www.apc.com/products/runtime_for_extendedruntime.cfm?upsfamily=27
Figure out how many min you want protection, I would recommend 10 min at least. That will tell you the UPS size.

ShadowRD

Distinguished
May 3, 2016
No. A 600W UPS is only rated for 300W load.
Get an accurate measurement of the power usage with one of these -- https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU (there is an EU version also) THEN use that information on APC's website -- https://www.apc.com/products/runtime_for_extendedruntime.cfm?upsfamily=27
Figure out how many min you want protection, I would recommend 10 min at least. That will tell you the UPS size.

well, i have APC 600watt and works great even when im playing that consume 410-430watts for like 8 minutes, and thats with monitor and router, so if that you says was true, my ups could not work right?

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
One thing to consider is that a UPS typically offers only limited surge protection. And also daisy-chaining a UPS with surge protector is not recommended. That's why I have my PC plugged into a quality surge protector instead of UPS. Of course, I do risk losing some data that way, but frequent saving and back-ups can help with that.

kanewolf

Titan
One thing to consider is that a UPS typically offers only limited surge protection. And also daisy-chaining a UPS with surge protector is not recommended. That's why I have my PC plugged into a quality surge protector instead of UPS. Of course, I do risk losing some data that way, but frequent saving and back-ups can help with that.
Depends on the UPS. All the ones (I have multiple) are double conversion. That means that the AC output is created internally 100% of the time. The input mains power is converted to DC. The DC is used to charge the batteries and create the output AC. It is 100% constant output.

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
Depends on the UPS. All the ones (I have multiple) are double conversion. That means that the AC output is created internally 100% of the time. The input mains power is converted to DC. The DC is used to charge the batteries and create the output AC. It is 100% constant output.
What happens when such a UPS exhausts its surge suppression potential (it wears down over time)? Would it shut down safely and stop providing power to the batteries, or simply blow them up with the next voltage spike?

kanewolf

Titan
My electricity is pretty stable. We have underground utility feeds to entire neighborhoods. My UPSs live a very calm life :)
The double conversion units are very robust. They are intended for commercial use. Each of my UPSs have 4 batteries rather than 1. But they are only rated at 1500W.
My guess as to what would happen is that the surge suppressor would fail, just like a power strip and the input to the batteries would stop. The unit would run on battery as long as possible then stop.

Solution

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
Hmm, good if that's the case. I know some surge suppressors, especially less fancy ones, keep providing power after their suppression potential is gone, which is equivalent to exposing equipment to the surges. But if it works fine for you great.