Question Need advice on Video card

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Putting together new system and money got real tight fast. Using a ASROCK Z790 Pro RS board with a i9 13900K Processor , I do no gaming. I need to be able to run 3 monitors at same time with one on internet and other running large excel spread sheets. I need to make changes to spread sheet very fast. I will update video card down the road but any suggestions on what I could use now?

Thanks

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions, looking at the
PNY GeForce RTX 3060 12GB XLR8 Gaming Revel Epic-X RGB Single Fan Graphics Card
for now. Do you know much about this one and are they ok?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Do you know much about this one and are they ok?

PNY is one of the 2nd grade GPU manufacturers, alongside: Zotac, Gainward, Galax and few others. 1st grade are: Asus, MSI, EVGA and Gigabyte. While Nvidia is OEM.

With 2nd grade GPU manufacturers, you can get cheaper price compared to 1st grade manufacturers, but less performance and reliability is also closely followed by cheaper price.

That specific GPU looks strange, due to the single fan cooling it has,
official specs: https://www.pny.com/pny-geforce-rtx-3060-12gb-xlr8-gaming-revel-epic-x-rgb-sf
review: https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/1...c-x-rgb-single-fan-edition-video-card-review/

With 1 cooling fan, the GPU footprint is smaller and it is better suited in smaller PC builds (e.g mini-ITX), but downside is small (or non-existent) thermal headroom. Which in turn, doesn't allow the GPU to be OC'd in any meaningful level, or GPU itself runs hotter and/or louder.
Now, Founders Edition of RTX 3060 comes with 2x fans and most of RTX 3060 GPUs also have 2x fans on them. While top performers have up to 3x fans on them (e.g MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X Trio).

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I have a friend that said I could have his Nvida GeForce GTX 1060 6GB card, would that be a real bottleneck problem for my system? Dont want to have good cpu and motherboard be junk because of the video card.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I have a friend that said I could have his Nvida GeForce GTX 1060 6GB card, would that be a real bottleneck problem for my system?

In games? Perhaps. In office use? No.

GTX 1060 6GB is good GPU for 1080p gaming, with ~60 FPS with high/ultra graphical settings. But since you do not game and use your PC as office PC (M$ Excel), GPU won't be taxed at it's limits, as it would be while gaming. So, it should work just fine.

Though, for office use with multiple monitors, look towards Nvidia Quadro or AMD Radeon Pro (FirePro) GPUs instead. Since those are designed and build for workstation use, including running multiple monitors at the same time. While Nvidia GeForce and AMD Radeon GPUs are designed and built for gaming use.

In a nutshell:
GeForce/Radeon - jack of all trades, master of one (gaming).
Quadro/Radeon Pro (FirePro) - jack of all trades, master of all but one (everything else, except gaming).

Last edited:

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Thanks for taking time and giving me some advice. I guess I will use the GTX 1060 for couple months then buy this one hoping to be a all-round video card.
MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 15 Gbps GDRR6 192-Bit HDMI/DP PCIe 4 Torx Twin Fan Ampere OC Graphics Card (Ventus 2X 12G OC)