Need advice overlocking core 2 duo

cowboys21

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Hey everyone, I have read a lot about overclocking on many different forums, including "HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1". I learned a lot from this article but I am still a little bit confused on how to overclock and don't want to mess up my system. I have been wanting to overclock for some time now but I wanted more experience with computers so that I would know more about what I am doing. So after building several computers and working at an IT company for almost 2 years now I should have plenty of experience. So anyways, to start, here are my SPECS:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX
Memory: OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
Video: ASUS EN8600GT MAGIC/HTP/512M GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported

Here is what I found on Newegg's website about the memory:
Cas Latency 5
Timing 5-5-5-18
Voltage 2.0V
Heat Spreader Yes
Features Gold XTC Heatspreader
2.1V EVP

However, when I ran CPU-z I got different results.....
memorytabCPUz.jpg

It seems like the memory is set to run at 400mHz even though I didnt change any settings in the BIOS or anything.

Here is the CPU-z for my proccesor:
CPUtabCPUz.jpg

So what I need to know is what to set my memory timings at and also the voltage of the memory and processor. Also I am sort of confused about the FSB. I know I sound like sort of a newb but even after reading some articles/guides I am still a little confused about all of this. Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Once I get some more advice I will start testing and post the results.
THANKS in advance!!

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
the FSB stands for the Front Side Bus. it is the speed at which the processor communicates and recieves information from everything else. i think i know why your RAM is runnung at 400Mhz. your ram might be rated to ddr-2 800 but the way modern ram works is it wends out two sets to packs of data every clock cycle instead of one (or something like that, it says so in the acronym "ddr"). That is in fact your rated RAM speed even though it says DDR-2 800. if i were you, i would be concerned about the fbs:ram ratio being 5:6.

cowboys21

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
hmmm....what would be the cause of the ratio being 5:6?? Bad RAM or bad motherboard or what??

EDIT: Oh ya and also I was wondering why my CPU is rated at approx. 2.0GHz in the CPU-z program, with a multiplier of 6 instead of 7(my CPU is rated at 2.33GHz from Intel). I realize that I can change the multiplier in the BIOS settings but sometimes it comes up at 2.0 and sometimes it comes up at 2.33.....why does the speed of the processor change without me changing any settings??

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
The multiplier changing is a technology set up by Intel to set the speed of your CPU based on the amount you use it. If you set the multiplier to x9 in the BIOS and still have the option to monitor the speed, then it will change the multiplier based on how much you are stressing the CPU, with x9 being the max it will go to. If you turn this option off (in the BIOS), it will run the multiplier at your requested value the whole time.

Your RAM is running at 400 Mhz because it is 2 x 2GB = 400 x 2 = 800 MHz for each DIMM

VoodooDan

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
Hey Cowboy21,

VoodooDan from HP here. Based on your specs, here are a few steps below that can help get you started. But please remember that ANY overclocking procedure done incorrectly runs the risk of damaging components. It’s recommended that you up your voltage on the CPU and memory in small, SINGLE STEP increments until you find a stable spot that balances with performance. Please be careful!

That said, for your particular motherboard, while the unit is booting you should tap delete until the unit displays the BIOS screen. To display more advanced BIOS, hit CTRL + F1. From there you will see MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T). MIT is where you will find CPU and Memory voltage controls.

In terms of timing, you should be able to alter and set the appropriate voltage to each of the manufacturers specifications. As far as the CPU is concerned a general role of thumb is (for the host Clock control)

For an 800 MHz FSB CPU, set this item to 200 MHz.
For a 1066 MHz FSB CPU, set this item to 266 MHz.
For a 1333 MHz FSB CPU, set this item to 333 MHz.

Good luck and be safe – let me know if you have any other questions.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Umm, not quite peaks...

DDR RAM sends data on both the rising and falling side of its waveform, hence the double. DDR2-800 is derived from the 'theory' that DDR2 is twice as fast as plain DDR. Hence DDR2 running at 400Mhz receives the 800 rating.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Cowboys21 Wrote:

So what I need to know is what to set my memory timings at and also the voltage of the memory and processor. Also I am sort of confused about the FSB. I know I sound like sort of a newb but even after reading some articles/guides I am still a little confused about all of this. Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Once I get some more advice I will start testing and post the results.
THANKS in advance!!

Cowboys21 Wrote:

Here is what I found on Newegg's website about the memory:
Cas Latency 5
Timing 5-5-5-18
Voltage 2.0V
Heat Spreader Yes
Features Gold XTC Heatspreader
2.1V EVP

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

About this too?

Cowboys21 Wrote:

So after building several computers and working at an IT company for almost 2 years now I should have plenty of experience.

cowboys21

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007

I didn't know if changing the timings was part of overclocking the memory or not. So I didn't know that I was just supposed to use the manufacturer's settings. I thought maybe changing the timings helped overclock my memory. Also, what I meant by I should have plenty of experience is that I have messed around with the BIOS on a bunch of different computers and sort of knew my way around and also just having that much experience, I thought it would help. I don't know about the overclocking part of the BIOS because you don't really learn that in IT but that is why I posted here first to make sure that I knew what I was doing before I screwed something up. Haha but thanks for making me feel retarded. And thanks for your help...

cowboys21

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007

Okay, so I have a few questions on what to put my settings at in the BIOS. I'm not sure how many of these settings I need to change or if I need to change all of them....
First, there is an option called 'System Memory Multiplier (SPD)' The options for this setting are: Auto, 1.60, 2.00, 2.40, 3.20
Second, what do I use as the initial CPU Voltage?? The option starts at .50000V and goes up to 1.60000V
Third, there is an option called 'Performance Enhance' The options are Standard, Turbo, Extreme
Fourth, 'DDR2 OverVoltage Control' Options: +.01V, +.02V, +.03V, +.04V
Fifth, 'FSB OverVoltage Control' Options: +.01V, +.02V, +.03V
Sixth, '(G)MCH OverVoltage Control' Options: +.01V, +.02V, +.03V
Seventh, 'CPU GTLREF1 Voltage Ratio' Default=0.636. Other options include: 0.603, 0.566, 0.54

Also, I figured out that my CPU has a FSB of 1333MHz so I will set it at 333MHz for the host clock control.
Appreciate the quick response and hope you can continue to help out.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Sorry Cowboys21 it just blows my mind that someone working in the IT field can't read the OCing guides and get an idea of what to do. I'll play along though.

Set your memory to stock settings 5-5-5-18 @ 2.0v in the Bios
Set FSB strap to 2.0 (1:1)
Set vcore to 1.4v (range for your E6550 .85-1.5v)
set DDR2 overvolt to .01v
set FSB OV to .01v
set MCH OV to .01v
set GTL ref .603
set FSB to 350 for starts keeping Multiplier at 7

Raise voltages as needed when your FSB gets higher and is unstable.

Disable spread spectrum settings and power saving options (speedstep).

Monitor your temps with Real Temp or Core Temp, do not let it go over 70!!

Use Prime95 or OCCT to stress test after making changes.

Work up your OC slowly and test after making any changes. Once you have reached your final OC start to lower your voltages and find your LOWEST STABLE OC and your done. Prime95 for 12-24+ hours will verify stability of your final OC.