Need advice PC build for HD video editing and digital music recording

aprice1215

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Hello,

I'm a newbie at the build thing, but not entirely inept at hands on tinkering. I figure I can put together a solid box that will last a few years and provide some headroom for HD video editing and digital music recording at a reasonable cost. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Approximate Purchase Date: August 1, 2012

Budget Range: $1000-$1200 Before Rebates. Some flexibility here, a couple of hundred bucks.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HD Video editing, digital music recording, home office suite, surfing the internet, watching movies, lightweight gaming.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no preference, good pricing, service, and selection

Parts Preferences: by brand or type Intel CPU - i5 or i7

Overclocking: Maybe (probably not necessary)

SLI or Crossfire: Huh?

Monitor Resolution: 1600x900. Do I need to consider replacing?

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC. Need operating system (windows 7 (or 8?). Have external 1T (iomega drive, but probably want additional drives internal or external. Want to burn DVDs and CDs. Generous on the USB ports. Also SD card ports would be nice. Connecting to wired ethernet, but wireless would be nice to have. Relatively quick on the boot up.

aprice1215

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

TheBigTroll,

Thanks much for your input and suggestions for my (novice) build. I have some questions. Appreciate your patience with my lack of knowledge, but how else to learn if you don't ask.

1. You suggest i7-3770 3.4ghz quad core. What's the diff between this and the i7-3770k (besides about $40 and 3.5ghz compared with 3.4ghz)?
2. I like the Asus mobo, reading a lot of good reviews. Will I have sufficient expansion slots? Thinking I might need one for a wireless card, possibly one for a digital audio card (for the midi stuff maybe)? Looking at the board it looks like there are four usb ports. Is that a standard number? Again thinking external drive, digital recorder, midi keyboard, digital camcorder, keyboard, mouse. Am I maxed out?
3. You suggest the muskin blackline and looks like 16GB. Just confirming that the mobo max (Asus P8H77-V ATX) is 32GB so I have some expandability there correct?
4. What is form factor? ATX vs. Micro ATX?
5. Seeing alot about GSkill Ripjaws memory. Anything I should get excited about besides the price?
6. The muskin chronos 120GB SSD will be configured as the boot drive, correct?
7. Is there any reason give my original specs that I should consider adding blu-ray?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate your time.