Question NEED ADVICE! Poor performance on G7 notebook

Feb 23, 2020
greetings, everyone.
i have a G7-7588 gaming notebook i aquired from Dell's official store. it has an Intel Core i7-8750H, a GTX 1060 6Gb, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb hd space and runs on a windows 10 x64 system. i'm aware it's not a top tier configuration for 2020's standards but it's still a quite capable spec that cost me a lot of money, and it's performing rather below reasonable expectations.

I've checked everything. all drivers are up to date, power cable is working properly, power saving profiles are set to maximize performance and NVIDIA control panel settings give preference to the GTX 1060 over Intel's UHD gpu on all scenarios. still, when running games from 2014 or newer using the recommended settings from Geforce Experience it performs rather poorly.

Call of Duty WWII for example, has 45 average fps on native render resolution (1920x1080). i tested other games and they all perform far below what i saw on the youtube benchmarks for this notebook. DOOM was supposed to have 110+ average fps on "Ultra" but instead it gives me 62. The Witcher 3 should have an average of 50 but instead it gives me 30. i get over 120 fps on older/simpler games like CSGO but the main gpu usage is always around 94% when it obviously should be at a lower value for such a budget title.

it's also worth noting the processor's temperature is through the roof when testing more demanding things, going as high as 98 Cº. Windows Defender examined the system and tells me there are no malwares present, also SupportAssist full package of tests show everything is in order.

i'm using RTSS to monitor the performance metrics and it tells me there are no bottlenecks of any kind. this all feels extremely odd, there is definitely something up with this notebook but i can't pinpoint the source of it's issues. i was hoping i could get some insight from more tech savvy people.

P.S: i never did any overclocking but i did temporarly disable the gtx 1060 on the device manager tab on several different occasions to deal with a very weird issue where it caused movies to stutter occasionally.

The first thing Id do is NOT use Geforce Experience for setting game settings. It's a turkey and has a way of killing FPS. I'd say whats happening is that GE has decided to upscale your output, which can look fantastic (with enough horsepower), but if not can cripple FPS. With that set up you should easily be able to push 60+fps on a 1080p panel on High settings, on COD WWII.

Set games settings manually, in game.

Is the GTX1060 a full flavour or the MAX-Q version? The max-Q is not a strong as desktop version. So that could be an additional.

Feb 23, 2020
The first thing Id do is NOT use Geforce Experience for setting game settings. It's a turkey and has a way of killing FPS. I'd say whats happening is that GE has decided to upscale your output, which can look fantastic (with enough horsepower), but if not can cripple FPS. With that set up you should easily be able to push 60+fps on a 1080p panel on High settings, on COD WWII.

Set games settings manually, in game.

Is the GTX1060 a full flavour or the MAX-Q version? The max-Q is not a strong as desktop version. So that could be an additional.
i'm pretty sure it's not that. i've tried manual settings and the only thing that helped was capping the fps to 60. this improved my overall frame rate but the performance is still far below acceptable parameters in most games. even metro 2033 redux, which is supposed to run fine with a much inferior GTX 480 card, is having dips to 37-45 on outside areas, and that's at 1080p res with no supersampling and no advanced physx effects. i also tried running sekiro, which was one of the first games i completed using this machine and back then it ran at rock solid 60 fps from start to finish at max settings, but this time i had constant slowdowns on more open areas. it proves there's something wrong with the notebook. i think one of the components is malfunctioning, my first guess would be something related to the fan, but i don't know anything about dismantling such equipment in order to check on the parts. are there any free, easy to use softwares that i could employ to test this theory?
EDIT: it's a MAX-Q. but it shouldn't amount to that much of a difference, especially considering it used to run modern games just fine.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020
The i7 8750H is a hot cpu and is common for it to thermal throttle. I have it’s successor the 9750H and I’ve had to undervolt it to get the temperatures under control. It’s made a huge difference. Research undervolting using Throttlestop.
i tried undervolting it with the help of this guide https://www.ultrabookreview.com/31385-the-throttlestop-guide/ but it didn't help me, i'm still experiencing CPU temperature in the 90's and fps dips from 30 to 50 in games that were supposed to run fine. i tried both -80mv and -125mv and none of them seemed to make any sensible difference so i just reset the whole profile back to how it was. i also tried reinstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery but it had no effect on my tests. furthermore, i feel like my situation is deteriorating. i now get CPU usage always below 20% during demanding games while the GPU is always at 99%. should i even be running games at this point? i was avoiding bringing it to maintenance because i use the notebook for many things but i feel like there is no other way

i tried undervolting it with the help of this guide https://www.ultrabookreview.com/31385-the-throttlestop-guide/ but it didn't help me, i'm still experiencing CPU temperature in the 90's and fps dips from 30 to 50 in games that were supposed to run fine. i tried both -80mv and -125mv and none of them seemed to make any sensible difference so i just reset the whole profile back to how it was. i also tried reinstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery but it had no effect on my tests. furthermore, i feel like my situation is deteriorating. i now get CPU usage always below 20% during demanding games while the GPU is always at 99%. should i even be running games at this point? i was avoiding bringing it to maintenance because i use the notebook for many things but i feel like there is no other way
Did you do equal offset of both cpu and ring cache voltage, you need to do both.

When gaming you want your gpu at 99-100%, it means you are utilising it to its max.

Laptop coolers are not great.
They need to be light and small.

If your cooling airways are clear, that is about the best you can do.
Always run plugged in while gaming.
Battery operations will default to slower specs.

One thing that you can try is to go into power management and REDUCE your max cpu % from 100% to a lower number such as 75%
That may inhibit throttling and yet still be enough to run your games well.

Feb 23, 2020
Did you do equal offset of both cpu and ring cache voltage, you need to do both.

When gaming you want your gpu at 99-100%, it means you are utilising it to its max.
yes, i did precisely as the guide instructed. same undervolt on both settings. i'm also aware it's ideal for the gpu to be at max usage on demanding games but my point is i'm getting 99% even on mid level games from 2012, which is unusual for such a relatively powerful rig

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020
Laptop coolers are not great.
They need to be light and small.

If your cooling airways are clear, that is about the best you can do.
Always run plugged in while gaming.
Battery operations will default to slower specs.

One thing that you can try is to go into power management and REDUCE your max cpu % from 100% to a lower number such as 75%
That may inhibit throttling and yet still be enough to run your games well.
i opened the chassis, the fans are working as intended and are as clear as it could be expected. reducing the max cpu percentage to 75 didn't help with the overheating, processor temps are still ranging from 86 to 100 (but it usually stays at 92-91)

Feb 23, 2020
The throttle point is around 100c.
You may be OK.
Or, you could reduce a bit more.
i've read the throttle point is almost certainly anything above 90 but regardless of that it's evident i'm not okay because i am struggling heavily to maintain 60 fps on games that previously ran flawlessly in this machine with the very same settings i'm using now. the fact the cpu usage is so low when the fps is not good is another indicator of a problem

Feb 23, 2020
i frankly have no clue. but i can't apply the restore options because i went by over 2 months without using this notebook, i had access to a PC back then. i'd have to reset the whole machine to factory settings but i think it's worth taking it to maintenance for a check-up first