[SOLVED] Need Advice - RE650 WiFi Extender periodically dropping 5G connection ?

Rainzord

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2014
Hello!

I've purchased a TP-Link RE-650 wifi extender because I read excellent review on it.

The main thing I wanted to use it for, is for the 5Ghz network, so I can connect to my Quest 2 in my living room via virtual desktop wireless streaming. My PC and my router (connected with cable to my modem and PC) are all in my bedroom.

The RE-650 connects (via wifi) to my router for about ~860 mbps which is amazing, and it even says I can connect it further, and it works amazing for... 5-15 mins, then the RE-650 drops the 5Ghz connection for some odd reason, and I have to disconnect from the wireless network and reconnect for the connection to become stable again. I'd like to note, that this does not happen when I just connect with my phone and browse the internet with minimal load.

I've used separate SSID's, I tried updating firmware to the latest, swapping channels, nothing works. I sent it to the lab under the warranty - and they said everything is "fine" (eventhough they presumably did an extensive test under a lot of bandwidth, so they say), and luckily granted me a refund, since I insisted that TP-Link is advertising as if this Extender should stream 4k without lag.

Anyway, I am very disappointed!

The RE-650 was placed pretty close to my router (about 6-7m; the router is connected with a cable to my PC, and its a TP-Link Archer c9), and I was standing really close to the RE-650 (few meters, the signal was full). Also, when I connect to my router's wifi directly with my Quest 2, these dropouts don't happen!

Question 1: can anyone recommend a quality wireless extender that its 5Ghz network does not drop after 5-15 mins of use, for sure?

Question 2: In my living room I have a phone/internet socket. As I understand, I can make it into an access point. But the thing is, I have no idea where to start with this! It's the same socket like the one that my Modem in my bedroom is connected with cable to. I have no idea how to set it up so it will use the same lan network as the one in my bedroom, what kind of equipment I need and so forth. a bit more info on that, because I have no clue what I should post about it:

In my bedroom, I have the same socket - its a telephone/ modem socket, I shove a cable inside (after connecting a splitter for phone/internet), and connect it to my modem. My modem is connected with cable to my router, which is connected to my PC, with a cable. Thats how I normally get internet.

Now, the socket in my living room is the same like the one in my bedroom - they are on the same physical line. What kind of equipment I need, so I can setup a router as an access point (?) to broadcast an internet from there?
From what I understand, if I get a router to work there, it would have the best quality of connection for wifi. The thing is, if there is an extender which is good enough to produce 5ghz wifi signal, I guess I could skip having an access point as it sounds to me like a bit of a mess.

Advice will be appreciated!

Solution
Wifi in general has all kinds of strange problems and when you add a second wifi hop it just makes things even harder to find. You have very few options on wifi. You can try to change the channels you use or maybe reduce the channel width. It is likely some kind of interference but no way to be sure since all the good information is locked inside the wifi radio chips they give no access to.

If you could get a wired solution and not use the extender or use it as only a AP it will likely help a lot.

In general you can not use telephone wires as a network connection. Now if you are very lucky you might be able to use the wires themselves and convert them to ethernet. First it depends on what kind of wires they are. Many...
Wifi in general has all kinds of strange problems and when you add a second wifi hop it just makes things even harder to find. You have very few options on wifi. You can try to change the channels you use or maybe reduce the channel width. It is likely some kind of interference but no way to be sure since all the good information is locked inside the wifi radio chips they give no access to.

If you could get a wired solution and not use the extender or use it as only a AP it will likely help a lot.

In general you can not use telephone wires as a network connection. Now if you are very lucky you might be able to use the wires themselves and convert them to ethernet. First it depends on what kind of wires they are. Many phone lines are actually installed with ethernet cable nowdays. The second problem is ethernet is point to point and phone many times is daisy chained jack to jack. It all depends on where the wires run and that will take investigation on your part.

The other options are MoCA adapters if you have coax tv cable in both rooms. You can also consider powerline networks but they are slower than moca. You want to buy the newest generation of powerline mostly called av2-1000 and av2-2000

Solution

Rainzord

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2014

In general you can not use telephone wires as a network connection. Now if you are very lucky you might be able to use the wires themselves and convert them to ethernet. First it depends on what kind of wires they are. Many phone lines are actually installed with ethernet cable nowdays. The second problem is ethernet is point to point and phone many times is daisy chained jack to jack. It all depends on where the wires run and that will take investigation on your part.

The other options are MoCA adapters if you have coax tv cable in both rooms. You can also consider powerline networks but they are slower than moca. You want to buy the newest generation of powerline mostly called av2-1000 and av2-2000

Thank you very much.

I was kinda silly to think I could just connect another Modem + Router to the second telephone line I had, but from what you wrote I understood that is not really possible and I basically need some kind of an expert on networking to figure those things out for me to have proper wiring done to have another access point.

Thanks again you were very helpful with your explanation!