Need advice to upgrade my pc

a.ah.ahm.ahma.ahmad

Commendable
Nov 15, 2017
I'm planning to upgrade my PC but i can only do some of them each month (my budget is around 200$/month except for the GPU).

i want to eventually upgrade my GPU up to GTX 1060 (either 3GB or 6GB since the price is not that different)

in what order should i upgrade my PC? (i'm thinking of upgrading my PSU first since i'm still using the stock PSU)

Mb : Gigabyte H81M-S1 (if possible i want to keep this one for now)
Proc : i7-4790 3.6 GHz (if possible i want to keep this one for now)
GPU : GTX 750ti 2Gb
PSU : Stock from casing 380w
RAM : DDR3 1x8 GB

Thanks

Solution
If you are planning on holding onto the motherboard an processor, then the other components don't really matter in terms of what order you upgrade them in. It really depends on what you want to get out of the upgrade. If it's graphics (which is sounds like), then upgrade that first. If you want more multitasking capability, get more ram.

Given the current PSU you have, it may be a good idea to upgrade that before putting in a new graphics card just to ensure you have enough power.

If you are planning to get a new motherboard and processor down the road, the only thing that may run into compatibility issues is the RAM. Otherwise you will probably be fine.

Hope this helps!

AgentTryHard

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014
If you are planning on holding onto the motherboard an processor, then the other components don't really matter in terms of what order you upgrade them in. It really depends on what you want to get out of the upgrade. If it's graphics (which is sounds like), then upgrade that first. If you want more multitasking capability, get more ram.

Given the current PSU you have, it may be a good idea to upgrade that before putting in a new graphics card just to ensure you have enough power.

If you are planning to get a new motherboard and processor down the road, the only thing that may run into compatibility issues is the RAM. Otherwise you will probably be fine.

Hope this helps!

Solution

Your CPU is still relevant.

What PSU? That and RAM should go.

Order:
1. PSU - PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4xbz8K
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4xbz8K/by_merchant/

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $59.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-01 00:29 EDT-0400

2. RAM to dual channel 16 gigs, or if you want to go the newest chipset, skip this step.

3. Motherboard and CPU. If you are only gaming, save up 600 over 3 months, then get this:
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n6tBcY
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n6tBcY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($237.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $582.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-01 00:32 EDT-0400

^ ur cpu is still good for 60fps gaming. And considering that u r limited to 200 bucks a month, 144hz upgrade will take a long time.

If you are OK with 60hz/75hz monitor, I would suggest the Radeon cards.

U got good 75hz ips freesync monitors around 150 bucks and an rx580 4gb would be perfect for powering it up. Would last you a good 3 years before needing to upgrade to the next gen.

So for that gpu and monitor, a new psu and ddr3 ram like the ones listed in the above post would be perfect.

a.ah.ahm.ahma.ahmad

Commendable
Nov 15, 2017

Thanks, i'm gonna go with your suggestion and upgrade it in this order : PSU & RAM -> GPU, because i probably need more multitasking capability for now
I'm okay with changing my RAM once i get a new motherboard later this year
Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the reference, i didn't expect it to be this detailed hahaha... thanks for taking your time
I'm gonna buy that PSU for now, because i just heard that using stock PSU from casing can be bad
The motherboard, CPU, and cooler will have to wait because i planned to upgrade it around december or january

Thanks for the reply
I dont have plan to change my monitor since i'm pretty much fine with 60Hz monitor
I'm gonna check that rx580 though, thanks for that suggestion