Question Need advice - Upgrade my R9 390 for dual monitor uwd2k-2k setup

Jul 26, 2019
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: i was waiting for the 2080super launch to have more options, can wait till september if needed for 5700xt custom

BUDGET RANGE: can reach 1100€ (but i prefer to adjust to just something that goes fine, no need to go max price)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (all kind, From BFV, AssCreed Odyssey, to LoL) , home theater/watching movies, web lurk with lot of tabs

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Sapphire R9 390 and Thermaltake toughpower 875W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: new AMD 3900x,Noctua Air cooling, Asus Tuf gaming X570, 32gb ram 3200, the pc case is well refrigerated, thermaltake kandalf case with new noctua fans

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: amazon, pccomponentes COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: spain

PARTS PREFERENCES: i dont really know brands well enough, last gpus i had were sapphire (280, 390, another)

OVERCLOCKING: Probabbly No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: this is probabbly the key, i use 2 monitors, main for gaming is 3440x1440 with freesync , second for webs (usually 3-15tabs) and apps (spotify, discord, etc) is 2560x1440

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: i know that with a freesync monitor, it can be better the stay with amd cards. But with current amd lineup im not sure if its enough for dual monitors uwd2k.
sometimes i tend to 5700xt, but heat seems problematic, so maybe wait till custom with better cooling. another time i think that maybe trying nvidia with a 2800super or go to the extreme and get a cheap 2080ti model, like Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP thats currently 1095€ on amazon.es. and the brand and models gets me more lost, not sure if its worth the price some changes that brings some models. 2fans - 3fans, freqs? or maybe survive with 390 until ampere launch in 2020, or something similar from amd.
If you can help with some guidance will be awesome, thanks everyone!

Last edited:
You are not actually gaming on both monitors at once, so the capability of the video card should only be for the one monitor you use for gaming. About spending money now on the card, that is up to you to decide based on how you are doing with the R9 390 card. Even a non-Ti 2080 is double the speed of the R9 390. The AMD 5700 XT is also double the speed of the R9-390 and less than half of your budget.

Reactions: Altrus1 and King_V

WebowJo

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
In your situation i just bought a 1080 ti and kept the r9 390x though i don't know how to utilize it yet...i actually posted here yesterday. Best performance for the price. I might be wrong because I bought used card for cheap as it gets though... Maybe if you are able to afford 20x0 it's worth considering too

Reactions: Altrus1
Jul 26, 2019
i havent found a good priced 1080ti here, most of those were almost the same price as a 2080super, so not so good option vs a new model with better specs maybe.