Need advice upgrading 4770k, 970 Sli for 1440p Gaming

Sep 28, 2018
Hi,
I have been experiencing micro stutters and screen tearing whilst gaming for to long, specs below

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Case: Thermaltake - Armor Revo Snow Edition (White) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($255.00 @ Umart)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Monitor: Asus - PB277Q 27.0" 2560x1440 75Hz Monitor ($449.00 @ Centre Com)
Monitor: Asus - PB277Q 27.0" 2560x1440 75Hz Monitor ($449.00 @ Centre Com)

I mainly play survival games like 7 Days to Die, Ark and so on - But not limited to. Should I keep my system and upgrade the graphics card? Or should I bite the bullet and retire the whole system? Being Australian a Gtx 1080 ti is still relatively expensive $1200 vs $1400 for a Rtx 2080. I have had my eye on the below system

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/44078/pccg-diablo-2080-gaming-system

Open to suggestion.
Cheers

Solution
Micro stutter and screen tearing aren't necessarily related to raw graphics performance. Many of those survival games are still in development and in a technically rough state. In some games, SLI configurations can have inconsistent frame times.

You definitely don't need a whole new system, and probably don't need a GPU upgrade. Your CPU is still very fast, and DDR3 will rarely hinder game performance. I wouldn't say the 970 is particularly deficient at 1440p, but there are certainly more capable cards (that are cheaper than the 1080 Ti).

Have you tried enabling vsync or limiting the frame rate--either in-game or with external software like RivaTuner?

I would recommend selling the second 970. It isn't helping at all, at least not...

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
Micro stutter and screen tearing aren't necessarily related to raw graphics performance. Many of those survival games are still in development and in a technically rough state. In some games, SLI configurations can have inconsistent frame times.

You definitely don't need a whole new system, and probably don't need a GPU upgrade. Your CPU is still very fast, and DDR3 will rarely hinder game performance. I wouldn't say the 970 is particularly deficient at 1440p, but there are certainly more capable cards (that are cheaper than the 1080 Ti).

Have you tried enabling vsync or limiting the frame rate--either in-game or with external software like RivaTuner?

I would recommend selling the second 970. It isn't helping at all, at least not in Ark. If you want to upgrade the GPU, you probably don't need to go as far as the 1080 Ti. A 1070 would be a step up, and the 1080 would be almost twice as fast as your current card(s).

Solution

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
Yeah, I don't think they're using both monitors in games. I believe Nvidia supports it, but it's not practical for most games and terrible for first-person stuff.

Whatever you do, OP, don't replace your system for those games at that resolution.

TRENDING THREADS