Need advice, upgrading 8600GT SLI, $200 budget

Niner555

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
This is my first time posting and I was just hoping for some advice on the best option for upgrading my computer's GPU for some of the newer FPS games coming onto the market (COD3 and MW3):

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next 30 days

BUDGET RANGE: $200-$250 after Rebates

USAGE: Gaming (Call of Duty 3 and Modern Warfare 3)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: 2 qty. EVGA 8600GT (SLI), 512MB DDR2, PCI Express x 16. 700 watt power supply (don't know the brand, whatever came with the computer originally)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, nVidia nForce 680i LT SLI motherboard. 4GB DDR2, PC6400 RAM

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No, have not been happy with all the driver related issues using SLI

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

Op. System: Vista 32

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This computer is an Ultra Grid X20 Intel Gaming Desktop PC and has front and rear cooling fans, as well as a 3rd fan in the side of the case blowing directly on the motherboard.

Thanks for any help offered!
Matt

imsurgical

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
GTX 560 Ti is a good card on that budget. If you're very budget conscious though I would even recommend the GTX 560, $189 on Newegg or most authorized E-sellers and the biggest difference is the amount of cores. While one has 384 cores (560 Ti) the other has 336 cores, both are roughly same clock speeds across the board, and both come in the same GDDR5 memory configuration. Real world performance I promise you as far as the cards go is the same especially if go the SLi route.

All that being said if the tax bump and slight overage of 200 for the Ti doesn't effect you I would go for it also especially if you feel you won't upgrade much besides getting another card later. But if you're truly trying to stay underneath or right at that $200 budget for numerous reasons, it being a gift from someone or to someone etc, then the GTX 560 will accommodate that price range much more nicely. The difference after taxes (depending where you live) and shipping can be a differential of $30-40 between the two cards.

It has nothing to do with how I feel. The Ti model has more shaders, as you point out, and that makes it more effective at rendering games. I'm not sure why you would say otherwise. There are dozens of reviews for these cards full of benchmarks that show it rather clearly. At reference speeds the Ti is about approximately 10-15% faster on average at high resolutions.

imsurgical

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

Ahhh gotchya, and I just meant the term "feel that way" loosely :D. But ya you're right. Was just trying to account for the mentioned budget and wasn't sure of his resolution on the monitor the person may be using. But couldn't agree more, as I mentioned if you can go for it go for it :D, just wanted to provide an alternative in case the Ti was slightly higher than the persons budget :)

Well he did say $200-250. That leaves the GTX 560 Ti right in the middle.
If you wanted to say he won't see too much of a difference between the two cards on a dual core at 3ghz in a number of games then that would actually be a good point. No matter which card he gets giving the CPU a nice overclock is very good idea.

imsurgical

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Ahh missed the $200-250 after rebates in his post and just saw his headline and some of your guys suggestions at first lol. Sorry for the misunderstanding, going on that note would only emphasize going with a 560 Ti and if you decide to get that card I hope you enjoy :)

Niner555

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Great input guys, thank you very much. I have no plans for future upgrades to this computer after this GPU upgrade; I will get a whole new computer in a couple years. Considering the limitations that have been mentioned with my Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, would I really notice the difference betwen the GTX 560 and the GTX 560 Ti? If it helps the decision, my monitor maxes out at 1680x1050. I'm just thinking if the difference is minimal, and I have no plans to upgrade the CPU, I could save $30-$40 and just get the GTX 560......

enough for what? crysis 2 with all details and DX11???? future games that will be more demanding??? Always go for more than just "enough", at least then you wont likely finding yourself wanting an upgrade in 3 months time. get the Ti version if you have the funds.

Don't forget He is on a core2duo E8400!

I like the 8400 OC'd to 4 ghz. A guy I work with runs a 6950 2gb and it works amazing. (would be better in my machine though)

Mind you if you want to stay under 200 I say 560 not 6870. After seeing it in action in an amd p2x4 Im really not impressed. Where as I saw a 560 at 930 mhz and was really impressed.