Question Need advice upgrading from AMD CPU and Motherboard to Intel CPU

AmazyCrazy

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Hi, to this day I'm still rocking a stock Orchid-S Motherboard from HP and a AMD A10-7700K. What I'm wanting to know is if I can swap out the MB, CPU, and Ram for a Asus Maximus 8 Ranger MB, Intel Core I5 CPU, and Corsair Vengeance Ram. I would really like to do this without having to re-installing Windows 10.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi, to this day I'm still rocking a stock Orchid-S Motherboard from HP and a AMD A10-7700K. What I'm wanting to know is if I can swap out the MB, CPU, and Ram for a Asus Maximus 8 Ranger MB, Intel Core I5 CPU, and Corsair Vengeance Ram. I would really like to do this without having to re-installing Windows 10.

Thanks in advance :)

You would absolutely have to reinstall windows.
I'm assuming this computer is in an OEM HP case? If so, the motherboard you currently have might not be a standard formfactor, so you could have mounting issues with the new one.
Be sure you check dimensions and mounting hole positions to ensure everything will fit.
Also, ensure the PSU uses standard connections.

AmazyCrazy

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
@A_Goat The Case is a Fractal Design Define R5 The PSU is a Corsair RM850X Modular
Also I still have a 500GB SSD that I can install a fresh copy of Windows onto
If doing so can I still run the software installed on my current Win10 install? I've plugged an old Win8.1HDD into my Win10 and ran a program off of it?

@A_Goat The Case is a Fractal Design Define R5 The PSU is a Corsair RM850X Modular
Also I still have a 500GB SSD that I can install a fresh copy of Windows onto
If doing so can I still run the software installed on my current Win10 install? I've plugged an old Win8.1HDD into my Win10 and ran a program off of it?

Ah, then there will be no compatibility issues with that case and PSU.
But why specifically that motherboard and chipset? It's not exactly a great value at this time if you're buying new.

And yes, you will be able to install windows on a new drive and still access the old one and its software, but depending on the complexity of the software there could be issues.

AmazyCrazy

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
@A_Goat That MB, Ram, and CPU I bought new in 2017 and never upgraded to them, I'm not really playing the latest tripple A tittles, basically just GTA V, TransportFever2, FallGuys, PubG and ATS and ETS2. Basically I would be just using the old drive as a means to transfer/copy over some programs and game stuff, then once I new I was ready to wipe it I would install steam on it.

@A_Goat That MB, Ram, and CPU I bought new in 2017 and never upgraded to them, I'm not really playing the latest tripple A tittles, basically just GTA V, TransportFever2, FallGuys, PubG and ATS and ETS2. Basically I would be just using the old drive as a means to transfer/copy over some programs and game stuff, then once I new I was ready to wipe it I would install steam on it.

Not to worry, I do the same thing when I switch drives. Enjoy