[SOLVED] Need Advice - Upgrading My PC

Mar 25, 2019
So, I messed up while making my budget PC two years back since I choose to use the fx-6300 which only supported ddr3 ram and I wasn't thinking about upgrade-ability. And now I need to upgrade my whole PC but am still saving up. Here is my current Setup - https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ClimbableCub/saved/jrJZRB | And here is what I hope to upgrade to - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WQ2gMZ (The reason the mobo and cpu are so cheap is because there is a deal going on at Microcenter) Along with a 144hz monitor that costs $200. I currently have a little over $450 and I am wondering if I should save up to get all my parts and monitor at once or buy the 1060 and monitor now then save up to get the rest another time. Any help or advice would be appreciated and thank you for taking time to read this! :)

Solution
I don't know if the monitor is a priority right now, but I agree that the first upgrade you should do is the GPU. Meaning that you should definitely upgrade the PSU to something like a Corsair CX450/550 or the Seasonic S12II 520.

This should set you back around 250$.

With the remaining 200$ from your budget, you could do two things:
  1. Either get the 144Hz monitor as @Clutch suggested although I think that can honestly wait.
  2. Wait until you save up an extra 100$ to get a total of 300$. Then you can get a Ryzen 5 2600 + 16Gb of 3000Mhz RAM and use that 30$ B350-F Strix Motherboard, which is an insanely great price.
Whatever happens, I say buy the motherboard now. 30$ is a steal for that board. Even 2nd hand. Just make...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Go for the card and monitor now. You can use them with your current build... as long as you have a decent 400W PSU with a 6-pin. But don't expect the FX-6300 to let the GTX 1060 stretch its legs.

But buy the rest of the new components all at the same time. That way you can test everything and be sure nothing has to go back. Return/refund/replacement time is rarely more than 30 days, if that.

I don't know if the monitor is a priority right now, but I agree that the first upgrade you should do is the GPU. Meaning that you should definitely upgrade the PSU to something like a Corsair CX450/550 or the Seasonic S12II 520.

This should set you back around 250$.

With the remaining 200$ from your budget, you could do two things:
  1. Either get the 144Hz monitor as @Clutch suggested although I think that can honestly wait.
  2. Wait until you save up an extra 100$ to get a total of 300$. Then you can get a Ryzen 5 2600 + 16Gb of 3000Mhz RAM and use that 30$ B350-F Strix Motherboard, which is an insanely great price.
Whatever happens, I say buy the motherboard now. 30$ is a steal for that board. Even 2nd hand. Just make sure to ask whoever is selling it to you update the BIOS to the latest version. That way, even if you buy a 2nd Gen Ryzen CPU, it will still work.

P.S: If you do end up going for the monitor first, I would suggest waiting for the Ryzen 3rd Gen, which should come out sometime at the end of this year.

Solution
Mar 25, 2019
Thank you for the replies! I think I will get the GPU, monitor and, maybe a new PSU. Then get the rest later. And also, turns out I had the deal wrong, or it changed, now the mobo is $80 and the CPU is $80 (Both new from Microcenter) which is still a really good deal!