[SOLVED] Need advice upgrading old i7 to Ryzen 3900x

obloquy

Reputable
Feb 25, 2018
Hi,

I'm in desperate need of upgrading my pc. I was going to do it in the Summer but I couldn't afford what I wanted at the time but now I can.

Here's my current build:

CPU - 6th gen i7 6700k, 4 core, 8 thread
RAM - Kingston HyperX Fury 2133 MHz DDR4 32GB RAM
MOBO - ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7
PSU - Corsair CP-9020072 Platinum Series 750W
CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U14S with 2 AF-A15 140mm fans
SSD 1 - Samsung 850 500GB SSD - Running Windows 10
SSD 2 - Samsung 860 1TB SSD
HDD - Seagate Baracuda 4TB
GPU - Geforce GTX 1080Ti
Corsair 780T Graphite Tower

At first I was looking into upgrading my cpu to a threadripper 2920x, however after comparing it with the ryzen 3900x on cpubenchmark and speaking to a friend, the 3900x is about 15% faster than the 2nd gen threadripper 2920x... and cheaper so I thought i'd go with the 3900x.

I only use my pc for rendering 3d models/environments so wanted something that was able to quickly render something interactively as my modest i7 just isn't fast enough. I never overclock the CPU btw.

I wanted to ask a few things first before I buy the components:

Which mobo would be best for the 3900x? ASUS ROG Strix X470-F or ASUS ROG Strix X570-E
What CPU fan would be recommended for the 3900x? Prefer fan rather than water cooler and was looking at this - Dark Rock Pro 4
Would my current PSU be fine to keep or do I need to upgrade that too?
Would I need to upgrade my 32gb ram?
Will the new mobo/fan fit in my Corsair 780T Graphite Tower? Are the x470/x570 mobo's bigger? I read that they don't use the TR4 socket like the threadripper needs but not sure. The tower is very large by all accounts tbh

Apart from that, anyone got a 3900x and if so would you recommend it?

Thanks for any advice :)

Solution
1. Either mobo would be fine but with the X570 you are guaranteed to have a compatible BIOS as well as PCIe4

2. That's a good cooler, I'm partical to Noctua though and the DH15 is one of the best air coolers available.

3. Your PSU should be good to go.

4. Yes I would upgrade your RAM only because running 2133 will significantly hurt Ryzen performance. 3200mhz or greater dual channel is recommended

5. Yes to both, the Cooler height you case supports is 200mm which is basically any cooler and mobo size is determined by a standard. Your case supports basically all the various ATX sized mobos, meaning any ATX, mATX, ITX etc mobo will fit, socket is irrelevant.
1. Either mobo would be fine but with the X570 you are guaranteed to have a compatible BIOS as well as PCIe4

2. That's a good cooler, I'm partical to Noctua though and the DH15 is one of the best air coolers available.

3. Your PSU should be good to go.

4. Yes I would upgrade your RAM only because running 2133 will significantly hurt Ryzen performance. 3200mhz or greater dual channel is recommended

5. Yes to both, the Cooler height you case supports is 200mm which is basically any cooler and mobo size is determined by a standard. Your case supports basically all the various ATX sized mobos, meaning any ATX, mATX, ITX etc mobo will fit, socket is irrelevant.

Solution

obloquy

Reputable
Feb 25, 2018
Hey richiestang_78! Thanks for getting back and for the extremely helpful tips and suggestions!

I'll go the the x570 mobo I think. I've always loved my Noctua NHU14s, they're so quiet so maybe I'll go for the DH15 as they're always a good choice like you said :). Glad to hear I won't have to upgrade the tower as its a ball ache ha.

Just wanted to ask about Ram finally then if thats ok. I'm on 32gb over 4 sticks. I don't know whether to upgrade to the same 32gb just at 3200mhz or to go for 64gb 3200 mhz. 32 gb seems to handle pretty much all my needs and I don't know if I'd even notice any real difference between the two tbh. My question is do you think its worth the upgrade to 64 or is the jump from 2133 to 3200mhz good enough? Also whats better for the mobo/cpu, 2 or 4 sticks.. 2 sticks are cheaper but I don't want to cause problems to for the 3900x.... also is there any issues with the dh15 getting in the way of the ram? the dh15 looks an absolute beast so thought i'd ask

Many thanks again!

Last edited:
For 3D rendering / animaton tasks, all RAM you can get is usually the way to go. 4 sticks of 16GB, in total 64GB 3200MHz looks like the optimal choice.

Also, don't forget that you can also get 3950x. 4 more cores and 8 more threads. Just saying, since rendering would definitely benefit from it a lot.

Reactions: obloquy

TRENDING THREADS