[SOLVED] Need Advice - Upgrading RX 550 4GB $250 Budget

Libiral

Reputable
Feb 27, 2017
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Late December/Early January. I can probably delay till end of january if you guys really think it's worth the wait.

BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: USD $150-250)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming( I wanted to play some AAA till at least 2023 or more, it doesn't have to reach High. 1080p.) Productivity( my next year plan is to learn 3D game development). It will probably take some few more years till I can spare money on computer.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: PowerColor RX 550 4GB. Coolermaster MWE 450W Black

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
CPU Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo MSI A320M-A PRO
8GB Ram 2666Mhz ( to be upgraded to 16GB )

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com , tokopedia.com , enterkomputer.com. Country : Indonesia

PARTS PREFERENCES: To be honest I don't know. I really need the best bang for the buck.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes / No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / No / Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900 / 1920x1080
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I have 1660 Super in my mind. Should I go with that or does the RX 5500XT better with the 8GB? I've been considering this 2 cards about a few months while saving the money.

but then the GTX 30s and RX 6000s released at end of the year. While I definitely got no money for it the top of the line cards, I heard the 3050 cards and 6500XT will be way cheaper and around my budget range. From the "leak" I found on Youtube the 3050 will be comparable to 2060.

Can anyone help me make up my mind?

And, I'm not really asking for "future-proof" with this budget. I just wanted to get the best of the money that I got.

Thanks before.

Solution
Can you show us the exact model of PSU? There are several Cooler Master MWE models that vary in quality a lot.

Assuming your PSU can take it, I would upgrade to a 1660 Super over the 5500xt 8gb. The extra vram might be useful in the future, however that card doesn't really have enough power to make full use of it in many cases.
Can you show us the exact model of PSU? There are several Cooler Master MWE models that vary in quality a lot.

Assuming your PSU can take it, I would upgrade to a 1660 Super over the 5500xt 8gb. The extra vram might be useful in the future, however that card doesn't really have enough power to make full use of it in many cases.

Solution

Libiral

Reputable
Feb 27, 2017
I'd go for the GTX 1660 Super, using it right now paired with an i3 10100F, performs really well.

Do you think waiting for the 3050 will be worth?

Ah yeah, of course

I see, so taking the 6GB is worth it despite the lower amount of ram?