[SOLVED] Need advice whether I should keep or return this EVGARTX 3060 I got for 380 at Best Buy

Jun 19, 2022
Hey all. I built a new liquid cooling I-7 9700 K in summer 2019 in anticipation for the new 3000 series cards. Well we all know what a nightmare it’s been getting a 3000 series and I’ve literally been waiting 2 years. I already owned a 1070ti and was pretty comfortable for the last 2 years but I am having trouble running new games at the settings I want (high 2k) with games like dying light 2 and hit man 3.

So when I saw an EVGA RTX 3060 on Best Buy for 380, I jumped on it. The thing is I haven’t really been following all the cards and their benchmarks as you haven’t even been able to buy one so I was unaware till after I bought it how much better the 3060 TI performs for the price.

i’m pretty happy with the card if I would stop researching benchmarks and researching prices and seeing how low 3060 TI‘s are starting to get. For instance I paid $420 after tax with shipping and everything for the 3060 and I found a 3060 TI for 480 on EVGA. Also with the 4000 series coming out this year, I don’t know I just feel kind of burned paying $400 when I should be getting a 3060 ti for that price. I know the market is getting better and I already waited this long. I also know that $380 was amazing for a 3060 last year, this year? I’m not so sure.

I also know how hard it is getting your hands on the new hardware, even when we’re not in a pandemic, chip shortage and renaissance of new technology, and realistically I’ll be waiting a lot longer if I’m trying to get a 4000 series at MSRP.

The thing is is I don’t own a PlayStation five or an Xbox series X and it’s not like the 3060 is a BAD card. Performs slightly better than the PS five and slightly worse than series X but it is pretty damn comparable. And for the price of 389 it’s still $100 cheaper than it would be for a new console.

What do you think I should do? Do you think I should just get off the Internet and enjoy my new card and be happy i found one for MSRP right now and upgrade in a couple years? Honestly should be able to hold 2k with RTX off on decent settings for a few years.

do you think I should return it to Best Buy and get all my money back and continue waiting and go back to gaming on my 1070 TI? I have till June 30th to take it back no questions asked.

Or do you think I should just keep my eye out and maybe sell it third party if I find a 3060ti for a good price?

Thanks in advance guys. Like a lot of you I am unfortunately a perfectionist and I also don’t have a lot of money I am on a budget and I do want to get the most bang for my buck as realistically I will not be able to afford to upgrade for a while. This is like my one big upgrade I can afford every few years guys I don’t know what to do. On one hand I’m really happy with the performance of the card I’m really lucky to find one MSRP on the other hand I can’t help but feel like I should’ve got more performance for the price.

Last edited:
Solution
I think you pulled the trigger too fast. Prices are falling and will continue to fall. If aiming for 2k you do want something better then 3060 in long run. I would return it, you surely are going to see better deals. 2 days ago I could get used 3060 for about 300 (8 months old, warranty, local buy so would check it out). Passed because I know I can get better price.
I think you pulled the trigger too fast. Prices are falling and will continue to fall. If aiming for 2k you do want something better then 3060 in long run. I would return it, you surely are going to see better deals. 2 days ago I could get used 3060 for about 300 (8 months old, warranty, local buy so would check it out). Passed because I know I can get better price.

Solution
Jun 19, 2022
Thank you so much for your input. I am overwhelmed :/

I was thinking of maybe selling my 1070 TI, 960 and 670 while prices were still high to make up some of the difference but that seems like a hassle when I could just take the card back and wait a little longer :/

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022
Hey man I just wanted to let you know I just got back from taking it back. Feel like I have abandoned my own child and my wife and mom are upset at me cause I was so excited for it. It’s just that I literally saw someone get a 3060 TI for less than 500 on eBay today there is one on EVGA for 480 this week I’ve waited this long I’m just gonna wait a little longer and I’ll get a better deal. Can’t lie it’s been a pain in the freaking ass but I’m relieved honestly. Thank you for the advice I think you were right. My 1070 TI will get me through a little longer.

Jun 19, 2022
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3941221980...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Was looking around and saw this. It looks like the 3060 ti is coming down as well as the 3060.
Wow that’s a crazy good deal with the shipping and handeling. Feel bad for the people that paid $600 dollars + a year ago. <Mod Edit> even a couple months ago.
It’s coming down fast. I was reading something about the latest crypto technology isn’t going to require graphics cards and everyone’s been panic dumping them. There were some $395 and lower on Mercari today. I unfortunately do not trust used in GPUs with all the crypto mining going on these days.

I actually just got a Zo Tac super clock for $455 USD On StockEx came below $500 with discount codes. Never used a company accept EVGA so I’m a little nervous. I know if I waited a couple more months I would be able to get one MSRP easily I just don’t wanna wait anymore and I’m OK paying just a little bit more money. I just got the card for it’s all time 12 month low apparently. I don’t know if you’re interested but I’ll send you guys a link.

https://stockx.com/nvidia-zotac-gam...in-edge-oc-8g-graphics-card-zt-a30610h-10mlhr

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 19, 2022
It's going to keep going down now that crypto is in the gutter. Target 3060ti for $400 for a FE and an AIB for $450 range
Just got an AIB for $455, below $500 with discount codes, after taxes etc. I know I could’ve gotten it cheaper in a couple of weeks or even days but I’m honestly tired of shopping. I returned my 3060 to Best Buy today and it’s been a roller coaster of emotions and I’m just happy to have the card I wanted for a decent price. Stoked!

I’ve bought and sold used gpus a few times and never had major issues really. The main thing if you buy used is watch their feedback and read the description carefully. I think eBay has a money back guarantee to, so I think if anything goes wrong within something like 30 days you can file a case and say item not as described if for example they showed it as a working gpu. Usually though when I buy a used one, just get it installed quick and run it hard a few days to make sure all is well.

I’ve got an rx 6700xt coming tomorrow via UPS. I paid 430. I probably could have waited but I saw the prices coming down and figured go ahead and get a card while things were down.

Reactions: RuffSamurai
Jun 19, 2022
I’ve bought and sold used gpus a few times and never had major issues really. The main thing if you buy used is watch their feedback and read the description carefully. I think eBay has a money back guarantee to, so I think if anything goes wrong within something like 30 days you can file a case and say item not as described if for example they showed it as a working gpu. Usually though when I buy a used one, just get it installed quick and run it hard a few days to make sure all is well.

I’ve got an rx 6700xt coming tomorrow via UPS. I paid 430. I probably could have waited but I saw the prices coming down and figured go ahead and get a card while things were down.
Heck yeah man nothing better than new GPU day. I was looking at getting one of those myself for the price to performance you honestly can’t beat the 6000 series right now. I honestly I’m kind of disgusted at Nvidia this generation with how many pointless GPUs they’ve released in the middle of a chip shortage. The price to performance for the 3070 TI and the 3080 TI especially at inflated prices is so bad. Anyway just handed them $500 again so. But honestly when you factor in inflation and the chip shortage not being over, over and the headache of buying cards in this market for the last 18 months, I am happy to pay an extra $70 over MSRP just to be done and not need an upgrade till things straightened out. Enjoy your new card man I think for 3Enjoy your new card man I think $430 for a x6700xt is very reasonable. The way I look at it is, since I already have a decent build, and this card was still less than $500 for gaming, which is what I’m buying it for, and that’s still cheaper than a series X or a PS5 for better the performance. That is still a decent value to me.

Last edited: