Need Advice, Which should I upgrade? (i5 3570k)

kurima

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017
Hi there, I'm currently using i5 3570k with gtx 770 2gb and 900p monitor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel core i5-3570k ivy bridge (run stock)
Asrock z77 extreme4 lga 1155 intel z77
Cooler master hyper 212 plus
Inno3d gforce gtx 770 ichill herculez x3 ultra 2gb gddr5
G.skill ares series 8gb 1600mhz (2 x 4gb) 240-pin ddr3
Seasonic m12ii 650 ss-650am 650w atx12v / eps12v sli ready 80 plus bronze
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot decide which should I upgrade, I'm not pro gamer but I want to play also all the new & future games with 60fps 1080p.

I do playing games such as csgo, bf4 ,1, witcher3, farcry4 & primal, gta5, cod and etc...

my first option gpu & monitor upgrade to: rx 480 8gb and 1080p with freesync 144hz will cost of 569$ in our country

my 2nd option cpu+mobo+ram upgrade to: ryzen 7 1700, am4 mobo & ddr4 16gb ram will cost 595$ in our country

I've a limited budget, because I can't buy the two of them now.
which is the best for upgrading to reach the excellent experience in gaming and also workstation.

Thanks.

Solution
actually it depends on which is more important for u, if u need the workstation much more, then go for the 2nd option first, if u need the gaming performance, upgrading the GPU first will give u the obvious increase, even if there's a bottleneck.

btw since u already had aftermarket cooler, if u're going on the 2nd option, i suggest u get 1600x instead, since the 1700 and 1600 value/performance also benefits from the free cooler it gives. 1600x only lacks behind a little behind 1700.

kurima

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017

but if I try to overclock my cpu it will be good for rx 480? 1600x more cheaper but the 6-cores & 12 threads will be good enough for gaming also? then can I still use my old gpu?

the only part where 1600x is lacking from the 1700 are the multicore performance, so u will only see the difference when u're doing workstation work, in gaming,the difference will be too little to be noticed, especially since u can OC 1600x.(btw the truth is, most games used 4 core mostly, that's why intel always won in terms of gaming performance, coz they have better single core speed)

if u're going with RX 480 i think it will hold out just fine with the i5, even without the OC

but on the second thought, i'll suggest u get the 1st option, because i just remembered that OS are bound to the mobo, if u change mobo, u need to buy a new OS, which means more money. although, i heard that retail version OS can be used for up to 3 mobo, im not sure about this.

kurima

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017

Nice answer Sir! do you think if i choose the 1st option will my cpu can still handle the new games in the future with rx 480? i want to make sure because maybe this is my last upgrading my of my pc.

it will handle the GPU intensive games just fine (since it will depend on the GPU), but on CPU intensive games over time it might not last that long since your gen is pretty old already, but might last 2-3 years with that CPU with some setting tweaking and u can still OC it later to squeeze every performance it had when stock clock is not enough :)

Solution