Need advice with devices/electronics being plugged through extension lead

Kenmasta

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Hi, I've bough an extension lead with surge protection (3000W 13A) due to the lack of wall sockets in my room. It has 4 individual switched sockets and 2 USB plugs as well (Here's a link from Amazon). Is it safe to plug my newly built PC, monitor, speakers and portable heater (1500W 230V) as well as an iPhone/power bank on both USB slots at the same time? By adding up the watts it seems I'm pretty much ok but it might not be as simple as that and I don't want anything to go wrong. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

Kenmasta

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

Thanks for the swift reply. I might consider a circuit breaker just to give myself some peace of mind.

Regards

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
A few things regarding your setup:
1. Make sure you keep your heater pointing (especially if it is IR) away from any flammables as well as electronics (your computer!)
2. Make sure you completely unwind the heater's power cable (not kept in a loop) while you use it
3. The constant switching of the high powered device (heater in your case) may cause spikes or drops in the voltage on the line, which "may" cause issues with your PSU and therefore your PC. Those effects may be small and could be immediate or your PSU may not last as long. To avoid this situation it may be worthwhile into investing in a UPS to filter the power that is being supplied to your PC.
4. Depending on your financial capability and location of said socket in the room, it may be worthwhile in paying an electrician to come and install a proper power point anywhere else in the room that you like. It shouldn't cost much (maybe ~$200 total), it would make things safer (not running everything from one powerpoint) as well as giving you options for future decoration or moving furniture around (having power points in different places).

Good luck!

Kenmasta

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread. Having another power point in my room would actually be the best solution but since my family and I are only renting the place I would have to ask permission first. For now I'm just not using the heater much since it's not that cold now a days anyway. Thanks again for the tips and advice I will keep them in mind.

Kind regards