Question Need Advice With My New i9 9900K CPU?

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
How long were you testing it at 70-80c? You usually have 2 schools of thought regarding core temperatures. Some swear that it should never be above 70, and you have some that say as long as it doesn't reach Tjunction max you're golden. If you're the type to err on the side of caution I would underclock it a tad bit because 9900k are known to be quite toasty, unless you delid it or go some extreme methods. In any case your temps should go down to something more reasonable, at least for air cooling. Good luck!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The problem is the 9900K is difficult to keep cool consistently. Frankly, I would see what your temps are under the normal load you would expect to put it under.

Prime95 is a great gauge, but 80 degrees is a bit too hot, and won't be great for maximising the lifespan on the CPU. But ultimately, I don't expect many applications to stress the CPU as much as Prime95, so you're probably fine.

Way to find out is to monitor temps under what is regular load for your usage.

So to put it briefly - 80 degrees for me is too hot to be gaming at regularly, but Prime95 will stress the CPU more than many games will.

The problem is the 9900K is difficult to keep cool consistently. Frankly, I would see what your temps are under the normal load you would expect to put it under.

Prime95 is a great gauge, but 80 degrees is a bit too hot, and won't be great for maximising the lifespan on the CPU. But ultimately, I don't expect many applications to stress the CPU as much as Prime95, so you're probably fine.

Way to find out is to monitor temps under what is regular load for your usage.

So to put it briefly - 80 degrees for me is too hot to be gaming at regularly, but Prime95 will stress the CPU more than many games will.

Playing my call duty temps are 65-75 in warm area.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Core temperatures below 80 degreees should be fine generally. But be wary if you're going over that.
Obviously if you've auto overclocked, just make sure it's not pumping unnecessary voltage in which in turn can cause more heat.

But as long as you stick to below 80 under load, you'll generally be fine, anything pushing above 80 and you'll need to think about improving cooling.

Core temperatures below 80 degreees should be fine generally. But be wary if you're going over that.
Obviously if you've auto overclocked, just make sure it's not pumping unnecessary voltage in which in turn can cause more heat.

But as long as you stick to below 80 under load, you'll generally be fine, anything pushing above 80 and you'll need to think about improving cooling.

I do not mind under clocking it to 4,8 still be good speed and such.

During typical gaming loads, without MCE enabled, cpu clock speeds in Auto/Default, etc., and in Balanced power plan, all cores will likely turbo only to 4.7 GHz anyway...

(LIkely no real need for all core operation at 5 GHz for any GPUs less than an RTX2080/2080Ti shooting for 144 Hz refresh...; )

CompuTronix

Intel Master
XxDarkMario20xX,

What is your ambient (room) temperature?

Guys,

Just a friendly reminder, ambient room temperature can be a HUGE variable, so let's not take it for granted and overlook one of the most obvious and necessary questions. If the O.P. doesn't state it right up front, then we should always ask, so no one proceeds on false assumptions.

Although "standard" or normal is 22°C or 72°F, keep in mind that users write into our Forums from the Arctic Circles to the Equator. Ambient temperatures could be anywhere from 10°C (50°F) in a cold indoor environment to a very hot indoor environment at 40°C (104°F) without A/C.

If you live in the Northern hemisphere, temperatures are transitioning from winter to summer. Since most users don't run their rigs in a year-around controlled environment at 22°C, if you ran a thermal test with ambient temperature below normal, what will Core temperatures be during the upcoming warmer months when ambient temperature is above normal?

Ambient always needs to be taken into consideration. Again, if it isn't stated, then ask.

CT 😎

Reactions: PC Tailor

TRENDING THREADS