[SOLVED] Need advice with system

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
Hey, so basically I ran this test on UserBenchmark and got these results.
https://www.upload.ee/image/12831046/Screenshot__9_.png

Should I be worried?
My system is the following - GTX 1660S, I3 10100F, 16gb of 2667mhz RAM, 1tb Hard Disk, h410m-hvs mobo.

I assume the GTX 1660S result will be better with a better CPU, as it says that ''it's not performing to it's full potential'' and I assume that's caused because of the CPU.

Any tips?

Solution
Yes and no. It changes per game.

Take CSGO. That's a 2 thread cpu bound game, fps depends heavily on the IPC and speeds of just 2 threads. You'll get almost the same fps possible with the 10600k as those cpus both share similar speeds and similar IPC and both have 2 threads that will turbo upto roughly the same amount.

Take CoD:Warzone. That's a heavily threaded, gpu bound game where fps depends more on IPC and thread count, but the eye-candy depends entirely on the gpu. Your i3 is going to suffer heavily and have a lower fps limit, so the gpu will be limited to what it can put onscreen, detail levels won't change fps much as the cpu is limited. The i5 is considerably stronger there having greater thread counts to access, so...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Throw out the results. Right out the window.

100 users using the exact same components. What a crock. The exact same brand ram, same speeds, same timings, same mobo, same cpu, same size and brand hdd, same gpu with all the same settings and software and programs running in the background? And all 100 of those identical pc's are owned by users whom all used userbenchmark?

It's a fallacy. The chances of someone else anywhere having an identical pc to yours is so remote it's similar to someone else on the planet having the same DNA as you.

The pc's are close, not exact. They might have windows 7, different size hdd, super OC version of a gpu, 4 sticks of ram with tighter timings instead of 2. Could be win10 brand new install with no other software running like Antivirus or Steam etc. There's always differences. That's why they didn't say you ranked 65th, but in the 35th percentile.

All it says overall is that you have a HDD, and ppl with an SSD are going to score higher since the test can run faster and do more computations in the time period. The HDD is a weak link and slows down anything and everything to do with data transmission.

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
Throw out the results. Right out the window.

100 users using the exact same components. What a crock. The exact same brand ram, same speeds, same timings, same mobo, same cpu, same size and brand hdd, same gpu with all the same settings and software and programs running in the background? And all 100 of those identical pc's are owned by users whom all used userbenchmark?

It's a fallacy. The chances of someone else anywhere having an identical pc to yours is so remote it's similar to someone else on the planet having the same DNA as you.

The pc's are close, not exact. They might have windows 7, different size hdd, super OC version of a gpu, 4 sticks of ram with tighter timings instead of 2. Could be win10 brand new install with no other software running like Antivirus or Steam etc. There's always differences. That's why they didn't say you ranked 65th, but in the 35th percentile.

All it says overall is that you have a HDD, and ppl with an SSD are going to score higher since the test can run faster and do more computations in the time period. The HDD is a weak link and slows down anything and everything to do with data transmission.
Appreciate the prompt respond! Just one more question, do you think upgrading to perhaps an I5 10600K will unlock more potential of my GPU's performance?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes and no. It changes per game.

Take CSGO. That's a 2 thread cpu bound game, fps depends heavily on the IPC and speeds of just 2 threads. You'll get almost the same fps possible with the 10600k as those cpus both share similar speeds and similar IPC and both have 2 threads that will turbo upto roughly the same amount.

Take CoD:Warzone. That's a heavily threaded, gpu bound game where fps depends more on IPC and thread count, but the eye-candy depends entirely on the gpu. Your i3 is going to suffer heavily and have a lower fps limit, so the gpu will be limited to what it can put onscreen, detail levels won't change fps much as the cpu is limited. The i5 is considerably stronger there having greater thread counts to access, so possible fps will be higher going to the gpu. Then it's on the gpu whether it can actually put all those onscreen, so you'll see much larger drops moving from ultra to medium, but they'll still be greater overall than the i3.

Because of the relative weakness of the i3 for gaming, a move to the i5 will show decent results generally, but you'll be also shifting the balance of power. Right now most games are cpu capped, the gpu isn't struggling much if any, with the higher possible fps output of the i5 you could find you'll have to lower detail levels just to keep most of that fps as now the gpu really struggles.

Solution