Need Advice

superdave838

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Here's what i have so far amd 8200fx asus m5a97 corsair vengeance series 16gig coolermaster silent pro m850w nowi want to overclock a little bit i was told the noctua nd14 would not clear the ram heatsinks im trying to find an alternative if that is true someone said an ultra chilltec black would do well because of the peltier plate would keep heatsink cool??? is that true but then i was wondering about the noctua nh-c12p se14 cooler would be good i guess or should i go with a sealed liquid cooler corsair80 or 100s i want to try to keep the price low no complications and simple if theirs an aircooler out there that would about do what the noctua nd14 will do? will this cooler of noctuas work as good noctua nh-c12p se14?? if not just someone give it to me straight up instead of opinions...

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
If you want the maximum that you can overclock, water cooler is the way to go.
If you are on a budget, which you didn't mention, then you would have to go with one of the air coolers.
The 100s has good comments, prolly should go with that.

superdave838

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

So would you go with the corsair h80 or h100??

Not true. Water, like air, cannot cool below ambient temp.

Peltier can, but has serious drawbacks - condensation and increased thermal load (about 50 or 60 watts) inside the case. That doesn't sound like much, but imagine an extra 75 watt incandescent light bulb inside your case.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Corsair H-series coolers aren't exactly what we consider 'watercooling'...but they do work on fundamental similarities as normal watercooling. They are mostly gimmicky and costly for similar performance as good air coolers. For under $125, just go with a good air cooler. Starting at $130, you can get into the XSPC Rasa kits for CPU only cooling that will perform far better than a Corsair or Asetek LCS closed loop cooler.

Not true. Water, like air, cannot cool below ambient temp.

Correct. The only way to get past this is to run an evaporative tower in a water loop (commonly referred to as a bong cooler due to it's design) or to run some kind of water chiller setup, using a compressor/condenser coil setup or a slush box. Maximum overclocking needs liquid helium or liquid nitrogen. More user-friendly would be TEC's (Peltiers) or phase change.

No, a refrigerator or freezer are not applicable unless you completely dismantle them and re-purpose the condenser and coils. A/C unit...same thing. (Just trying to give advice before your imagination starts running with ideas).

There are ways to make these work, but require a lot of advanced knowledge. Come visit us over in the watercooling forum if you have any other watercooling questions. WC sticky is linked in my sig below. Good luck.